1. Nothing But Ash

Italics represent thoughts, flashbacks and memories.

Bold represents sign language or when Y/N spells into hands.

Underline represents important documents or letters being read aloud.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

CONTAINS GRAPHIC LANGUAGE, THEMES, AND OTHER DEPICTIONS INVOLVING VIOLENCE

*you are a child here, living with your parents in the underground. 5 or 6 would be an ideal age*

First Person POV:
——————————
"You lying, son of a bitch!"

I startled awake as the sound of glass pierced the air, followed by my mother's cries.

"How can we possibly make this work? You spend what money we have on booze and drink like a fish! Do you not care if Y/N has a father in their life?"

I sat up from the floor and clutched my blanket tighter to my chest, listening as my parents argued. I didn't know what time it was, but I knew it must be awfully late for daddy to be home when the streets were quiet. I know that when the food can't be smelt anymore, that everyone must have went home to sleep some instead of cooking.

"Get away from me, all you do is complain! I work for the majority of the money and I'll be damned if I let you spend it!"

I stood slowly, careful not to shift my other blanket from protecting me from laying on the dirt floor. I yawned and blinked; my eyes widened the more I woke. I heard quiet sobs flowing from the next room.

Momma! Gotta see if momma got hurt.

I quietly hummed to myself while creeping to the door of our kitchen. There was a candle in the middle of the room on our small table, with momma on her knees cleaning up a plate.

So that is what woke me up.

My eyes wandered up to daddy, whose eyes were glossy looking. I tilted my head.

I guess that is what momma meant by calling him a fish. His eyes look just like the ones from the market.

He had a bottle in his hand with a brown colored drink. He was leaning against the wall, almost as if he was trying to sleep, too. I was about to walk over to momma to make sure she was okay when daddy threw his bottle on the ground. I flinched as the glass scattered across the floor. The dirt became muddied from the drink, and momma let out another cry.

"Clean that up, you ungrateful bitch. Before the ants get to it."

Daddy turned to walk where I was observing, but froze when he saw me.

"Y/N," He spoke in a softer voice, still gravely from yelling.

I shrunk behind more of the frame as he took more steps towards me, almost falling along the way. I held my hand up, as if I was giving a high five, then made it to where my thumb tapped against my chin.

"Momma?"

Daddy stumbled on his last step, falling face first into the dirt and glass. He only let out a groan. A few seconds later, I heard him snoring. He must be exhausted to fall asleep that fast..

"Y/N," momma called out to me. I lifted my gaze from daddy to her, feeling tears form in my eyes. She had a few cuts on her hands, probably from the glass she just finished cleaning up, as well as dirt smeared on her face. I felt my lip tremble as I spoke again, only this time letting my thumb hit my forehead.

"Daddy.." I made an 'o' shape with my fingers, then loosened them, letting my pointer finger go upwards. "Okay..?"

Momma watched me with tears in her eyes and held her arms open, putting the remains of the plate on the table next to the candle.

"Y/N, come here baby."

I stepped over daddy and ran to momma, ignoring the pain of the glass on the bottom of my bare feet. She pulled me up into her lap and cradled me to her chest, tucking my head into the crook of her neck. I felt my face getting wetter from my tears, but I didn't care. As long as daddy didn't hurt momma, I'll be okay.

I wish daddy would be okay, too.

Momma hugged me tight and drew in a shaky breath. "Y/N," she said in a soft tone.

I looked up to see her gazing down at me. She wiped the tears from my cheeks and smiled softly. "Let's get your blankets and bag. Make sure you get everything you will need for the next few days. We are gonna go visit gamma."

I nodded and pulled myself from her lap. She held my hand as she stood as well, and led me back into the bedroom.

I wasn't sure if it was where it was night or dark, but our house seemed a lot quieter as we packed our stuff; scary, even, but momma seemed to be okay. She had the lightest smile on her face.

I just hope we can get sweets from the market when I'm with gamma. Maybe that's why she's smiling as we are leaving.