Clouds

Carl's POV:

That night was the worst in my life. It was fucking chaos.

After Hershel came in and got her breathing again, they took Rain out of the room and into quarantine as quickly as they could. Eventually she regained consciousness, but only for a moment, as they needed to knock her out with medication two seconds later.

I sat with Beth, Maggie, and Carol as we all waited for Hershel to come back with news. Bad or good, we had not idea.

The suspense was practically eating me alive, for a while I've made sure not to cry in front of anyone else, but tonight I couldn't hold the tears back. The three also were sporting red eyes, Beth and Maggie have grown incredibly close to her as well, treating her like their third sister.

Dad paced back and forth across the room, probably more nervous for my sake than Rain's if something where to happen.

What would I do if she didn't make it. I don't know if I could take that kind of heartbreak. But she's strong, she'll make it. I think.

I jump as Hershel opens the door, all eyes shooting towards him. I stand up, ready to burst, "so?" My voice cracks like it always does when I'm nervous.

Hershel sends us a slight smile and my body loosens, "She's fine for now but if they don't get back soon, it'll get worse for everyone in there." Unable to react, I, like my father only stand, even as Hershel takes a seat.

The only thing I can mutter is, "I-I'll be outside." Dad reaches out towards me but Maggie stops him, letting me go.

I climb to the roof of cell block C, where Rain first kissed me, where we talked of hope, of happiness, of the future, but also where I retreated the night my mother died. I look up, searching for one star, a single star, but only clouds fill the sky.

I cry. Not only for Rain, but for everything else that's happened, everything else that I've pretended to be strong for. It feels as though my dam has finally broken, this situation has just been the last crack in a series of previous fractures.

Then the anxiety sets in, for I know the process of grieving all too well. What the hell is wrong with me? I never asked Rain about her life, what if I never get the chance? I want to know about her family. How she survived. Her triumphs. And I was an asshole for not even trying.

My anxiety is through the roof as the tears continue to roll down my face.

I sat outside for another hour, enough to see the sun ride over the trees, Rain would love this. As soon as she gets better I'll take her here, we'll watch the sunset together-

And then I make a mistake, I smile, I get my hopes up, she's not going to get better, I know she's not. I know that nobody's going to come out of the quarantine alive.

Only two weeks ago, Rain and I sat on the ledge talking of hope and the future, yet now I cannot think of a single positive outcome.

Rain's POV:

Your head felt as though it was hit into a wall, for your entire body ached. Dry blood stained the sides of your mouth and your breathing was raspy, for it was impossible to mutter a word.

With all your strength, you try to move, but with no luck. Emotional or physical damage was to be blamed, but you could not decide at the time which.

Finally getting a good gulp of air, you begin to cough, joining the choir of others throughout the surrounding cells. A dry voice makes its way from across the room, "Rain, oh my God, you're alright."