Preface

I never thought I'd come back to Gerithor's story, but here we are! While this tale doesn't follow him exclusively, the Lastborn returns once more to help defend Middle Earth from a new (but very ancient) threat. 

I would like to state that this story may stray quite far from canon. Although my intent is always to tell my tales in Tolkien's world with as much accuracy as possible, the Fourth Age is a time without many boundaries. Events in this book will follow the appendices closely but may feature events that seem unlikely to have occurred. It might also fulfill prophecies that Tolkien would have interpreted differently. Nonetheless, I will be trying to stay as true to the source material as I can, given the circumstances.

This book will feature content from The Silmarillion, which, until now, has been largely avoided in my previous works. I may stray far from the Silmarillion canon as well, since much of what is contained there could be considered "mythical" and might be intended to portray greatly exaggerated or heroized versions of events. To get an idea of my perspective when writing this, I imagine that the people of Middle Earth have heard many of the tales from the Silmarillion in a manner similar to how we have heard tales of the fall of Troy or the sinking of Atlantis. It's not that they didn't happen; They just might not have happened exactly in the manner told in legends. 

If you disagree with my interpretation, you are more than free to hold your opinion! I even welcome your own interpretation to be explained in the comments, so long as it is respectful and isn't you telling me how to write my own version of events. 

Now that all of that is out of the way, I hope you enjoy the story! Welcome to the Fourth Age!