Chapter 2: Affairs of State and Home

"We'd have to raise taxes for something that ambitious," Narathir, one of Fornost's treasurers, said nervously. His thin lips were set in a straight line, and his ever-growing forehead was creased all the way up to his rapidly-retreating hairline. 

Gerithor tapped his fingers impatiently on the throne, giving Narathir a kind smile. "Surely there is a better way to raise funds for the road. Higher taxes aren't always the solution."

"But my lord, taxes are the backbone of any strong kingdom," Narathir countered, glancing at his compatriots for support. "We've already spent the profits of our trade agreement with the Blue Mountains, and King Elessar seems reluctant to aid us with what seems to be a mutually beneficial venture."

Gerithor tried unsuccessfully to suppress a yawn. They had been at this for hours now, and chances were they would be until the sun set outside. He always seemed to be at odds with the officials of Fornost, though he was unsure whether this was due to his impatience with politics or their collective opinion of him. He knew he was no steward. He never claimed to be. But it seemed that the role of Warden was gradually changing from defender to governor, and he would soon have little choice but to change with it.

Despite his own aversion to such affairs, he attempted to remain engaged for the sake of his only son, Carenor. The boy already struggled enough with the idea of succeeding his father, it wouldn't do well for him to pick up on Gerithor's negative view of the position. 

And so, he shot Narathir another fake smile and took a deep breath before continuing. 

"Mutually beneficial it is indeed. However, if you had spent the gold our generous liege had sent on the actual project instead of on rebuilding the treasury we wouldn't be having this conversation at all." 

"How dare you accuse me of misappropriating funds!" Narathir sputtered indignantly. "I only ever do what is in the kingdom's best interest. Perhaps if you were here at home more instead of out galavanting with the Rangers this would've been resolved sooner."

Gerithor narrowed his stormy eyes at the older man. "The title of Warden comes with many responsibilities, Narathir, the largest of which is keeping the people of Arnor safe. I shouldn't have to sit here and tend to you and the other courtiers like a mother hen to her chicks. Find a way to pay for the road, or I will find someone who can." 

Narathir stood and spun on his heel, angrily storming out of the throne room. Gerithor turned to Carenor, who was slouched in his seat next to his father, wearing an expression of boredom. His head was rested on his hand, and his eyes were glazed over. 

"Want to take care of this next one, Carenor?" Gerithor asked quietly. After getting no response he spoke a little louder. "Carenor?" 

The young man started and shook his head rapidly. "I'll watch, thank you."

Gerithor pursed his lips. He wanted Carenor to take an interest, but he wouldn't force him. He knew that his son took after his adventurous nature more, but eventually he would have to take responsibility and learn the ways of the court. 

"Lord Marhil, I believe you wished to discuss our recent issues on the seas," Gerithor began, finally turning to a subject he had at least a passing interest in. 

Lord Marhil, one of the more prominent traders in the Northern Realm, rose to his feet. He was a stern man, with a thin, measuring face like that of a crow that seemed to disapprove of absolutely everything. "The last three ships haven't made it to harbor, Warden. Losing one ship every now and again is to be expected, especially with the weather we've been experiencing of late. But three is unacceptable. We need to send military escorts with our cargo vessels."