Chapter 13

Me: This may take longer then I thought

Reed: Why? What's wrong?

Me: Malaria has a code to her door. In order for me to get out I have to get the code which is in her room somewhere

Reed: Damn

Me: I know

Reed: We're almost there. Maybe we can come and help

Me: No, I got this. I have 30 minutes to get the code. Wait outside. If I don't text you back in about 25 minutes, make your move

Reed: Be careful

I put my phone in my pocket, staring at her door. Bengi waits for me to get the courage to open it.

"The code should be in her drawer. It is written in pink ink on a thin piece of paper. Get it and get out of there quick, got it?"

I nod at the tiny troll. I take two deep breaths before slowly opening the door. I close it back behind me. Hearing a click from the door, I freeze. She snores soundly in her black painted bed. The clock on her drawer reads 2:35. It's been five minutes already?!

I rush to her drawer, getting on my knees. I open the drawer and, using my phone as light, I search for the paper. I think 'maybe I can control her. Bengi did say she's weak in the morning'. Should I take that chance? Eh, what the hay! I'm gonna die anyway.

I scoot to the farthest corner of her room. The corner where it's darkest at and try to get as small as I can. I close my eyes, taking in slow breaths as I think. Come on brain don't fail me now. You've been working so well.

I hear her mumble something and my eyes shot open. She's sitting up in bed, staring straight at me. Oh my geez, I'm dead. I'm dead, I'm dead, I'm dead, I died, I'm dead! (Lol, finding nemo quote)

"Penelope, honey, is that you?" She asks, moving closer to me

I try my hardest to scoot farther into the corner. It doesn't work very well because her wrinkled hands land on my arms. I wiggle in her grasp, panicking.

"Penelope, darling, it's okay. Mommy's here. You don't have to be afraid anymore. Now that you're back I won't let anyone hurt you" she whispers, pressing my head to her cold chest

Thank goodness she wasn't in her scary animal form anymore. She was wearing a black gown and her hair was up in a little shower cap thing. She wasn't the young May anymore. She was an old lady, looking like she was in her 60's or 70's.

"Are you okay, darling?" She asks me

I clear my throat. "Yes.." I force the next words out "Mother. I don't remember anything that has happened. Could you tell me?" I ask hoping she will tell me what happened to Penelope

She falls for my words. "Are you sure, dear? Do you really want to re-live that day?"

I take in a sharp breath of air. "Please tell me"

She sighs, leaning against the wall. "if that's what you want, dear"

She pats my shoulder as she speaks. "You were 10 years old. I was teaching you about your powers. I had to keep you inside your room because gallie was trying to take you away. He wanted to have you for his own. To have you as his wife, but I told him no. He told me on your 15th birthday I was to have you ready to be married"

"I tried my hardest to change his mind, but it was no use. So, on your 15th birthday, I locked you in the dungeon. I wasn't trying to scare you, but I was scared of losing you. I kept you there for hours until gallie arrived. He hurt me, hurt me real bad, but I didn't tell them where I hid you. He was about to leave after searching the house. He said he would come another day, but you appeared beside me the minute he was leaving. You knew how to teleport and didn't know how to control your powers. I tried so, so hard to keep you hidden, but because your powers weren't ready you were captured anyway"