Chapter 5

I wake up in a dark room.

I squint my eyes, trying to adjust them to my new surroundings. Geez my throat is dry. I rub my neck, looking for water. None in sight.

Wait.. Where am I? What happened?

I look around the room with my eyes now seeing a little bit better. There is a TV in front of me high up on the wall. It's playing a soap opera.

There's a bathroom on the left side of me and a closed curtain next to it, blocking my view of the door.

I'm in a hospital. The memories come back to me and I touch my chest. It's no longer in pain.

There are voices coming from the hallway. I listen closer and hear people whispering. I don't mean to be nosy, but when I hear my name I become completely involved.

"I-is Jenna going to be okay?" I hear Reed asks, his voice cracking

"Um, I'm not sure. She needs a heart transplant really soon"

"How soon?"

"I say 4 to 5 months or else-"

Reed cuts him off. "I know, I know. You don't have to say it"

I hear Reed clear his throat and I can already picture him running his fingers continuously through his hair.

"Can you look for a heart?" He whispers

"Uh" the doctor clears his throat. "We can try but-"

"That's all I need. Just try..please?" He whimpers

"Alright, Alright. We'll try our best"

"Thank you!"

I look to the window through the opened blinds. The sun has almost risen. The sky is a pink and orange color.

This use to be what my dad and I did together. We'd wake up real early and wait for the sun to come up.

He always said 'Jenna, one day we'll both be flying high in the sky'

'Like birds?' I asked him one time

His mouth grew into a wide sad smile. 'Yeah, just like birds'

Then we'd lay on our backs and watch the sky change from a light orange and pink to a light blue.

Oh bad idea. Rely bad idea. It was a mistake to start remembering things because the next thing I know I'm curled up in a ball, sobbing. Reed ran into the room and stopped when he saw I was awake.

"I-I-I'm sorry. I'm okay, I-I'm okay" I squeak out

"No, hush, you're not okay. Come here"

He takes two long strides towards me, laying himself next to my shaking body. He scoots closer slowly moving me, trying not to hurt me I guess. I lay on his chest with my hand under my head. He locks his arm around my waist, putting both hands on my side.

I sniffle some more. "I'm okay"

"You know you can't hide anything from me"

"Well, You seem to be hiding something from me" I say quietly

He sighs. "I know"

He moves his left hand away from me and onto his forehead. I watch as he pinches the bridge of his nose.

"I'll tell you when Jack gets here, okay?" he finally says

I nod, looking back at the TV. I take a deep breath in, listening to his heart. It holds a steady rhythm that I start falling asleep too.