Chapter 6

It's been a couple of days. I came back two days ago feeling better then ever.

We haven't talked about the whole 'mutant' thing in a while and think now we should. I call Jack and Reed into the living room. Jack sits in the other chair and I sigh. He's kept his distance between me and him since the incident. I'm afraid I'm losing him.

"Guys, I'm ready to know all about this mutant thing" I say hesitantly, fiddling with my fingers

Reed looks at Jack and Jack nods.

"Okay, let's begin"

They start telling me about everything and I mean everything. How mutants got here. How they knew about me. It was all so much to take in. I wasn't sure I'd remember everything.

"Okay, okay. Tell me about the powers. My powers"

"We're not sure what your power is yet" Jack answers

"Yet? What do you mean?"

"You haven't shown any hints that you even have one"

"So I may not be a mutant? Great"

"But powers take time to show. I got mine when I was 15" Jack says.

"Got mine a year after" Reed comments

"Well, I'm turning 18 soon. You think I'll get it then?"

Jack nods. "If we're lucky, yes"

I tap on the table. "So, what's your power?" I ask Jack.

"Me? Well, I can change time"

"What do you mean?"

"I can fast forward time, rewind, and even freeze it for a while if I wanted to" Jack smiles proudly to himself.

"Can I see?"

"Umm...sure" He stands up, walking slowly towards me and takes hold of my hand. "Whatever you do, do not let go"

"What? Why?" I begin to panic

"If we lose physical contact, I may lose you in time" he says calmly

I begin to regret my decision, but before I can say no he's already locked on to me. I clutch his shirt, afraid to let go. Afraid to know what will happen if I do.

"Open your eyes" he whispers.

I didn't even know I had my eyes closed. Slowly and carefully I Open my eyes to look around. He froze time. Oh my geez, he froze time!

I see Reed with his mouth slightly opened and his hands up, trying to stop us, but he was too late. We already left before he spoke.

"Do not freak out!" He whispers loudly

"Freak out? Who's freaking out? Not me. I'm not freaking out at all. I'm as cool as an ice cube. Just trying to figure out how you did this oh my geez I'm freaking out. I'm sorry" I hug him, closing my eyes. "Take me back!"

He nods, chuckling. Soon we're standing in the living room again with Reed staring at us. He looks at me as I bury my face into Jack's chest.

"You can let go now" Jack whispers in my ear, pushing me away.

I stumble backwards onto the cushion, hitting my head on the back of the couch. Jack's arms fly out towards me when I fall.

"I didn't mean to push you that hard"

I sit up looking at him with a sad smile. "It's fine.."

I hear him curse silently to himself as he sits back in his chair. Reed just watched the whole thing like it was the best show in the world.

"Guess it's my turn" Reed says, turning his torso to look me in the eye

"What's your power?" i ask.

He leans in forward, putting his face very close to mine. "I can make you do anything I want"

I gulp loudly. "R-Really"

He grins. "Yep. Want me to demonstrate, babe?"

"Um...I guess" I say

"No" Jack says at the same time

"Hmm.." he taps his chin with his index finger. "It'll only work if you look in my eyes"

I do as he says and look into his brown eyes. "Okay, now what?"

"Give me a kiss..." He starts saying and looks at Jack who has his face in his hands. Reed sighs. "On the cheek"

Involuntarily I lean forward and plant a soft kiss on his cheek that makes his cheeks turn red. I lean back in my spot, feeling like myself again. I look at a blushing Reed then back in my lap.

"That was cool. I mean kissing you wasn't cool. Wait, I'm not saying kissing you is bad. And I'm not saying it was good either. Cause' like I didn't kiss you I mean I kissed you but um.." I blush from embarrassment.

"Your powers are cool is what I meant"I sigh deeply.

He chuckles. "I know"

They tell me about what it's like to have powers and how they learned to control them. They also tell me about how, when I get my powers, they're gonna have to teach me quickly before it's too late.. you know, just in case they don't find a heart.

"But if they don't find a heart, then what's the point in teaching me" I ask to no one in particular

"Jenna, don't worry about that because they'll find a heart. Actually They, uh, already found one" Jack says to me

"Really?!" I jump on him, giving him a hug "that's amazing!"

"Yeah" he pushes me off him

I try to hide how sad I am that he keeps pushing me away, but I can't and I end up pouting. I sigh quietly as I push my glasses up my nose, standing up to go to the door.

"I'm just gonna go to Marina's house for a while.." I say quietly

I see Reed give Jack a death glare while Jack just stares at me. I put on my shoes and grab Reed's hoodie, giving him a sad look. He nods and I quickly pull it on, and walk out the door without giving Jack another glance.

Why can't he just forgive himself? He didn't do anything wrong. Okay, yes, he scared me, but I doubt that's what caused my heart pain. A lot of stuff could've caused it.

I jump in my car, looking at the front door as I cut the car on. Jacks looking straight at me and I force myself to look away.

I drive to Marina's house, trying hard to keep my tears inside. I nearly crash into two cars on my way there.

I hop out the car and knock repeatedly on the door. Marina answers with Nikolai in her hands. Nikolai reaches out for me as she pulls me inside.

She knows me so well.