Chapter 8

I sit across the table from Jack, drinking a smoothie. He's fumbling with his fingers as he talks. He must be as nervous as me right now. He hasn't even touched his smoothie.

"R-Reed told me you're with Sammy"

I bob my head wildly. "Yes, and he's so amazing. We hung out the other day at some paintball thing and I didn't know what that was and then he started shooting at me and.." I notice he's not looking at me anymore so I stop babbling. "Yeah, we're dating"

"Oh, you really like him, don't you?"

I smile to myself. "Yeah, I think I do"

"Guess we're done here. I hope you come home soon. I'll see you later" Jack stands up and starts walking away

"Jack, don't leave!"

"Why not? There's no point for me to hurt more than I should" he shouts over his shoulder

Before I could process what he just said he's gone. I'm so confused right now! It's like I hurt him without even doing anything.. Did I do something?

I see Sammy pull up beside the smoothie place. He steps out flashing me his signature smile. I try to smile back as I get up and throw the smoothie cups away. He waits for me to come back.

"Hey babe, how are ya?" He hugs me when I walk up

"I'm good I guess. How are you?"

"Amazing now"

He guides me to the car and I sit in the passenger seat. I've learned a lot about Sammy. I've learned that he goes to my school. I've learned he's a jock in school, wearing contacts, but a nerd outside of school, wearing glasses. He likes to hide our love inside school. I guess he's afraid for his Jock friends to see me with him. I do not mind that though...well maybe a little.

We drive to his house, stopping by the ice cream place on our way there.

++++

Sammy and I are standing outside my house just like we did on our first date. I called Marina and told her I was gonna go home. She was upset until I told her I would bring her candy tomorrow. That quieted her down.

"Bend down. I wanna try something" I say, tilting my head to look up at him

He raises an eyebrow, but does as I say and bends to my height. I stand on my toes, meeting him in the middle, pressing our lips together. He soon figures out what's happening and relaxes. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I must be doing something right because he has both his hands on my face.

I pull our lips apart, putting my hand on his shoulder. "So that's what a kiss feels like" I whisper to myself, looking at my door

He chuckles, not saying anything. I must've done a pretty good job since all he's doing is smiling at me now. I see Jack's car pull up and sigh.

"You should go now. I'll see you at school tomorrow, okay?" I start walking towards the door

He pulls me back by my belt loop, giving me another kiss as Jack approaches us. I didn't close my eyes this time, and from the corner of my eye I see Jack staring at us kiss. I feel very uncomfortable.

I push away. "Bye, Sammy"

"Bye babe" he says, walking down the stairs and jogging to his car

I quickly go inside with jack behind me. Reeds not downstairs. He's probably in his room. I sit on the couch, taking my shoes off as he sits on the other side. Wow, this is so awkward.

This is how the rest of the night plays out. Us not talking and letting the awkwardness sink in. I wanted to leave the room so badly, but I remained still on the couch. How are we ever going to resolve this awkwardness?