Chapter 33

Wang Yibo's POV

The rest of the day was spent walking around the familiar neighbourhood, we got to visit my old school, the apartment I got kicked out from, and the many placed I worked part-time.

And now we're in an empty playground, swaying slowly on the swing set, "ahh! What a tiring day! I can't believe we walked that much!"

Lily chuckled, "well, you mostly walked, I floated half of the time." I pouted, rolling my eyes, "gee . . . Must be lucky to have superpowers." Lily once again just chuckled at my sulking pout.

"I'm surprised you're taking it all so well, I thought you would've gotten uncomfortable and headed home," Lily said so I gave her a small smile, looking around to the abandoned playground.

"I was uncomfortable, to be honest, but this playground . . . I have a lot of memories here." I could feel Lily's curious gaze on me, but I didn't dare to meet her eyes because I knew the tears wouldn't stop once they started.

"I hope they're fond memories at least." I shook my head, fiddling with my fingers, "I wish they were, I've spent a lot of time here. Most children came here to play and have a good time, but I came here to cry. Every time, it's always been on this swing set, it was a childhood habit that's carried to adulthood. The saddest part was never the reason I cried, the saddest part was that no one cared enough to ask why I was crying. People just passed by me like I was invisible, it was as if I . . . Didn't exist."

A humourless laugh escaped from my lips as I pushed the swing to go faster, "once upon a time, I had this thought that if I swung fast and high enough . . . It could take me away from this miserable, pathetic existence." I stopped the swing abruptly, sitting there with my head low, "but that's just a childish wish."

I finally dared to look in Lily's way, the look on her face broke my heart, but I still tried my best to smile, I could feel my lips trembling and tears clouded my vision.

"Yibo . . . I-"

"Don't! Don't say you're sorry, being born this way wasn't your mistake, perhaps I'm just not God's favourite, I guess." I tried to laugh it off, but that was a big mistake, that laugh came out as a loud croak.

A tear trailed down my cheek, "w-what the heck . . ." One after another, tears kept falling no matter how much I desperately wipe them away, "I-I'm sorry. It just won't stop . . . I-I don't know why." Lily held on to my arms firmly, the sympathetic look inside her eyes was not helping at all.

"You don't need to pretend in front of me, Yibo, I'm your guardian angel, after all." She cupped my face, wiping my tears away with her thumb.

"Let me be the one to dry your tears." This sudden sweet gesture reminded me of something I couldn't grasp on, a feeling, something unexplainable, she looked so familiar, or so did she felt . . .

***

When the sun finally sets, we started to make our way back home, "thank you so much for accompanying me today, Lily!" She smiled, "thank you too letting me tag along, as a show of gratitude, you can always come to me if you need some cheering up."

I looked up at the purplish sky, suddenly, a feeling of serene calmness washing over me, "I am putting an end to this bitter life." I smile happily at Lily, but she only replies with an unreadable look in her eyes again.

"I see, I am glad you decided that." Lily didn't say anything more . . .

***

There! That's the last of it!" I wiped the sweat off my forehead with a satisfied smile, a knock on my window turned my attention away from my task.

"Hey, Lily! Come in!" Lily easily enters through the window.

"Whoa! What's with all these boxes?" I shrugged, "I am just packing my old stuff." She raised an eyebrow, "are you gonna donate them?"

I looked towards the boxes, "yeah, I won't be around anymore in a few days . . . So . . ."

"You're giving everything away?" There was a heaviness in her tone, but I still smile at her, "I much prefer if someone can put a good use out of it." Lily once again gave me a small sad smile.

"I am sorry, I wish I could give you more time." The sympathy in her eyes was so heartwarming, why was she always so caring like a big sister?

"Please don't apologize, I'm already thankful enough for this second chance." His eyes followed mine to the bucket list sitting on the desk, and I smiled at all the crossed out lines.

"It's because of you I can leave this world without regrets." I held both of my hands together, giving her my sincerest smile, "that's why I hope you know how deeply thankful I am, Lily. You truly are the best guardian angel I could have asked for."

Lily was speechless for a good minute until I broke the silence, "Hey, Lily, I know this is out of nowhere . . ."

"Hmm? What is it? Let your good ol' guardian help you out." I sigh a little, already anticipanting her reaction, "what do you think is a perfect gift for a guy?" Lily stared at me blankly, "I knew this was a bad idea." And then she started giggling.

"The perfect gift would probably be something handmade, any person will really appreciate a present when they know you put the effort in making it." She grinned at me.

"Something I can make, eh?" I stood up, approaching my sewing kit on the table, running my fingers across the colourful threads, "I think I figured out the perfect gift!"

***

The trio of friends sip from their teacups with satisfied smiles, "thanks, that was a huge lunch." I smiled at Lily.

"Yeah, almost like the celebratory lunch we had before." I looked at Haoxuan.

"Hmm . . . I s our dear housekeeper planning on something special?" Zhan eyes me suspiciously with a playful smirk.

I pouted, "can't I do something nice for my friends?" I reply just as playfully, sipping from my tea.

"You know you're not a good liar, dummy." I scrunched my nose at Haoxuan's words, "I believe she will crack right away if you keep pestering her." Lily and Haoxuan share a conspiring smile.

"Ugh you guys are relentless, I need you all to close your eyes first!" Zhan smiled at me, "oh, so it's a surprise?" I nodded at Zhan.

"I bet she will put a cockroach on your hand," Lily continued to tease as I cut her off, "just close your eyes already!"

The three of them finally listen after I raised my voice, I quietly place boxes tied with cute ribbons on their laps.

"Alright! You can open your eyes now!"

Word count: 1203 words