Petrichor

Petrichor ~ the way the earth smells after the rain

A/N : Don't ask about the song 😭✋. I wanted it for one chapter just because it was important for the story.

"How old is he?" I ask Tony, "I didn't know we were recruiting children."

Peter gives me a look and, frankly, it was kinda adorable, "Heyyy."

I smirk, "No offense kid."

Tony responds to my earlier question, "Normally, no. But this kid here has some very cool skills."

"Oh yeah? What's that?" Stevie inquires.

A web immediately shoots out of Peter's wrist and he grabs onto it, swinging up and attaching himself to the ceiling.

I shrug, "Not bad kid. Not bad at all."

He grins at my compliment and Tony points to a pile of papers on his desk, "Also, I need someone to take him to and from school. And train him. He's staying with us. His aunt believes he has an internship with me - in a way he kinda does - and we get to babysit him."

"Not babysit," Peter frowns.

"Uh yes babysit," Tony sasses back, "Now, everyone pick straws."

Of course, with my luck, I get the shortest.

I sigh and sling an arm around Peter's shoulder, "No problem. I don't mind. Looks like you're stuck with me kid."

Peter nods.

I bring my voice down to a whisper so Bucky couldn't hear, "Word of advice. Try to avoid Bucky's girlfriend, Daisy. She's very annoying."

"Okay."

"Where ya from, kid?"

"Queens."

I smile, "Brooklyn, nice."

*********************************

The next day had rolled around, which meant Bucky, Stevie, and I had to go to back home and find the key to whatever machine HYDRA was building.

We had driven to Brooklyn in my new Audi - since the old one had been practically obliterated, Tony had got me a new one - and had learned lots of new music. Apparently everyone listens to something or someone called "Eminem" now and I don't get it.

It sounds horrible.

We eventually made it to the beaten down house. I saw a squirrel come out of the window, proving that no one had been here in ages.

As we walk inside, a cold draft envelops us, causing me to move closer to Stevie and shudder. He wraps an arm around me and whispers, "I know. We haven't been here in decades."

I take a deep breath, "Okay. Stevie, you check your bedroom, along with mine and Mom and Dad's. Bucky, you check the kitchen and I'll check the living room."

Steve wanders off into the hallway and Bucky walks towards me, "Why?"

I freeze for a split second, before ripping off the couch cushion, looking for the key, "I don't know what you mean."

"I have to ask. Why'd you break up with me? Over text?" he walks into the kitchen and starts opening draws and cabinets.