13. Dues Ex Machina

"That'll stop the external bleeding." Clarke said as she set down the red hot knife she just pressed against the girl's skin. Her and Adalynn stood across from each other over Raven's midsection, Finn holding the injured girl's hand tightly by her head.

"I don't understand. How did Murphy get a gun?" Finn asked over Raven's pants of pain.

"It's a long story." Adalynn said vaguely.

"We got lucky." Raven said through gritted teeth, sweat covered her face, the pain evidently written across it., "If Murphy hit the fuel tank instead of me, we'd all be dead."

"Wait, there's rocket fuel down there? Enough to build a bomb?" Clarke asked, gears in her head turning quickly.

"Enough to build a hundred bombs if we had any gunpowder left." Raven confirmed. She clearly stepped Clarke's idea down.

"Let's get back to the reapers." Adalynn said, bringing them back to what happened when the three were separated, "Maybe they'll help ud. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, right?"

Clarke and Finn shared a look, clearly not liking the girl's suggestion.

"Not his enemy. We saw them. Trust me, it's not an option." The blonde girl informed.

"There's no time for this." Finn's words were rushed, clearly nervous, "can she walk or not?"

"No. We'll have to carry her." Clarke told Finn.

"The hell you will. I'm good to go." Raven said as she struggled to sit up on the cot that Adalynn woke up on earlier before Murphy killed Myles.

"Raven. Listen to me." Adalynn said in a stern and commanding voice, pleasing her hand on the girl's shoulder, looking her dead in the eye, "That bullet is still inside of you. If by some miracle, there's no internal bleeding, it might hold until we get somewhere safe. But you are not walking there, is that clear?"

"I'll get the stretcher." Finn said, leaving the dropship in long, strong strides.

"You stay with Raven, I'll make sure everyone is ready." Adalynn said to Clarke who nodded As she went to step around the makeshift bed, a hand stopped her by grabbing her forearm. It was Raven's. Adalynn looked at her in confusion.

"I'm so sorry, Addie." Raven started, her dark eyes filled with remorse, "It's not an excuse but I wasn't thinking straight and I was mad at the world, at Finn. He tried to stop me but I just didn't care until you came in and I realized what I'd done."

There was a moment of silence as their eyes fell on Adalynn who processed the information.

"We all make mistakes, we all deserve second chances." The girl finally answered, smiling a warm yet small smile. She turned her wrist to hold onto Raven's hand, "You opening the door not only saved my life but Bell's too. I can't thank you enough for that."

There was another beat of silence between the three girls. Adlynn squeezed Raven's hand before letting it go, she grabbed her backpack that was beside the cot and threw it over her shoulders before heading out of the dropship and into the camp that buzzed with nerves.

She watched from her higher point as the delinquents, the people she cared for, the people she led, shoved food, water, blankets, weapons, momentos, and anything else they could into backpacks and bins. Adalynn realized she needed to follow suit, she cut through the group and made a beeline for her tent. Once inside she immediately spotted the extra shirt and hoodie she had laying on her makeshift table. She quickly took off her dirited jacket and bag. She pulled on the gray shirt over her bandage and bruises, pulled the deep green hoodie over her shoulders before replacing the outer jacket, blood still on the right sleeve. After that, she opened up her backpack. Everything was still in it from the day trip her and Bellamy took a good week back. Was it a week? Several weeks? She didn't know at this point. It didn't matter either.