Chapter 1

[Ysabelle's POV]

"... As you can see in this video, class, that if you mix ammonia with bleach, it causes reactions and create chloramine vapor..."

"Shit. I'm really not going to pass this stupid test."

I looked at Andrew. He is the star player of the basketball team and also one of my friends.

I smiled and said, "You'll be doing fine. It's very easy if you think about it."

"Easy for you to say. You're the smartest person in this class if you don't include him." he said pointing to Leonard.

I rolled my eyes. "Whatever. I can beat that loser anytime of the day." I said.

He snorted. "Yeah right. You lost to him in the student council elections, he nailed first place when he..."

"Excuse me, Mr. Lim and Ms. Santos. You seemed to be very busy there. Care to share what nonsense are you talking about?" Ma'am Hannah said, sternly. I was about to explain when the bell suddenly rang.

RRRIIIIIIIIIIINNNGGGG!

"Class dismissed."

I shot up from my seat. I really love this bell. It helped me out of tight situations with strict teachers. I went straight to my locker to get my books.

"You got scolded again, didn't you?"

I turned around to find the source of the sound. It's Leonard Perez.

I scoffed. "As if you care about me."

"I still do, Ysabelle. You're my friend. What did I do to make you hate me this much?" he asked.

I wanted to say, You abandoned me at the lowest point in my life! You could've persuaded your parents to delay your flight seven years ago for a few days for my father's funeral! That is what best friends are for, isn't it? But decided against it and walked away, leaving him staring at my retreating back.

~~~~~~

My father's death is the main reason why my parents, my mom and stepdad, is very distant to me. They kept acting as if I was the cause of dad's death. The only thing that kept me company inside the house is my pet cat. My stepsisters aren't much of a help either.

My friends found me reading a book on the bench near the fountain.

"There you are! We've been looking everywhere for you!" Jhanness Fuentes said, as they crowded around me.

Jhanness is a professional tennis player and an awesome painter.

Julius Lopez is a table tennis player with a weird sense of humor.

Sheila Jane Marasigan is a member of the school's softball team and is always the reason why they win in every competition they join.

Jennylyn Chua, the editor of our school paper, is also an heiress to a famous hotel chain here in the Philippines.

Christopher Diaz. One of the hearttrobs in this school. Despite of his cassanova demeanor, he is a kind guy who helps people in times of difficulty.

"What's with face?" Jenny asked.

"Well, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named talked to me earlier." I said.

Julius looked surprised. "Whoa. Aside from being a genius, you are also immune from Voldemort's power? How did you..."

I hit him on the head. "I was refering to Leonard, dumbass."

"Oh... Sorry. Anyway, can we have a group study tonight at Andrew's house? Our exam is next week. And I didn't study an atom of information these past days." He said while rubbing his injured head.

"What were you doing these past weeks?" Sheila asked crossly.

"Ibinplayinclashoclansebrinait."

"What???" We all asked in confusion.

"I said 'I've been playing Clash of Clans every night.'" He said sheepishly.

"Heck, dude. You are going to be kicked out of the table tennis if you flunk." Jenny said.

"Yeah. I know. That's why I'm asking you guys to help me." Julius said.

The others murmured in agreement.

"I can't go, guys. I got... umm, an appointment." I said.

"With whom?" Chris asked while raising an eyebrow to a dangerous extent.

"An important family member." I said as put my book inside my bag,carried my bag on my shoulder and started walking to our lobby.

~~~~~~~~~

I carried the bouquet of flowers I brought from a flower shop nearby to dad's grave.

I was surprised when I saw Dr. Charles, dad's doctor, standing near it.

He must've heard my footsteps because he turned around and raised his hand in greeting.

I nodded at him and put down the flowers.

"Good afternoon, doctor. Am I disturbing you?" I asked anxiously.

"Oh, don't mind me, Ysabelle. I was just visiting an old friend. Don't forget to drink the vitamins I gave you." He said. He looked at dad's grave and started walking to his car.

I sat down on the grass, not minding the dirt. "Hi dad. I missed you. Did you know, I almost missed class yesterday..."

[Leonard's POV]

(√a-√b)(a√+b√)
Umm... a×b divided by a? Or is it a+b×a-b?

Ughh... I can't concentrate! What Ysabelle said earlier keeps on appearing in my mind!

I gave up. This can be the main article in our school paper.

THE FAMOUS LEONARD PEREZ GAVE UP A VERY SIMPLE ALGEBRAIC PROBLEM.

I'll just finish my homework later.

I sat at the edge of my bed. A million questions formed in my mind. Why is Ysabelle angry at me? Is it connected to her father's death? Is it because I beat her in the student council elections?

I shook my head, trying to keep those thoughts away. After that, I decided to sleep.

[Ysabelle's POV]

I didn't notice that it is already late so I went home way past my curfew. As usual, mom is giving me an earful.

"... I don't care about those stupid achievements if you don't even manage your damn attitude. You should be ashamed of yourself..."

"Mom, I just visited dad's grave..." I said, cutting her off.

"Don't get me started on yout deceased father, young lady. If he was here..."

I rolled my eyes and started to climb upstairs.

"Where are you going? We are not finished yet!" Mom said, irritated.

"To my room. Duh."

"You can't just walk out of your mother just like that!"

I turned to her after opening my door.

"I just did." I said before closing the door behind me.