zero: to hero

❝ a winner, yes. but at what cost? ❞

 but at what cost? ❞

"Right to the start. Ready?"

Despite telling anyone and everyone that she'd not be watching the competition- oh yes, over her dead body, she'd said- Jung Hyojin still clicked on the link to watch the live anyway.

It was the annual speed skating National Finals, the make or break competition for someone she knew. It was the factor that was going to determine if the expensive man was worth being kept on adverts, worth being invested in.

The spectators were on fire today, screaming and cheering like tomorrow was not going to come. Neon light boards were raised, posters were unravelled, pompoms were pumped up, all in anticipation of the spectacular competition about to unfold in front of their eyes.

The four final contestants were in standard figure-hugging tight suits, fitted to them like a second skin. Arms steadied in a position which could propel them forward best, they waited for the starting gun fire with bated breath. An audible hush went over the stadium when the starter gun was raised and tension hit the roof.

The camera zoomed in on each handsome face, featuring their focused expressions for the thirsty audience, then sharply zoomed out to full view when the starter gun went off.

All four shot out and the arena roared like a jungle of beasts once again.

"A clean start for the Men's 500 metres final, the winner gets the gold medal. Mapo University's Lee Seokmin has taken the early lead."

Amongst the four, it was clear who were the fastest for the starting round. The said boy was already slinking into the round-about, followed at the heel by another boy. The other two contestants were a gap behind, both with determined expressions despite the not very uplooking prospects of winning.

The boy at second shifted the position of his arms and shot forward, now head to head with the boy at initial lead- Lee Seokmin.

"And now Yoo Kihyun of Goyang University has made a move-"

The same boy made a sharp mastered swerve at the bend, now officially at lead.

"He has taken over! Yoo Kihyun has taken over!"

A little below, the very last skater skidded from the speed he was rushing at, and was sent sliding all the way to a corner of the ice rink on his bottoms. He lowered his head in defeat, accepting the results.

"Aand a skater is down, in the corner."

The boy currently at lead met with the same end shortly, slamming head-first into the cushioned walls of the rink, wincing.

"Oof! He skidded and crashed. Yoo Kihyun is down, that's two down. Now back in the lead, Lee Seokmin!"

The hand-held brass bell was risen and rang, indicating that the two remaining competitors were into their final lap.