Straight and Fast

"Jisoo wake up!!"

I heard Chaeyoung's desperate voice exclaimed that made me open my eyes.

I fell asleep? Right we were both trying to rest after all that running in PE.

"Fuck. What's happening?" I asked Chaeyoung as I cough.

"I-I don't know let's just go. Come on." She said hurriedly, obviously in panic as she helped me stand up.

What the fuck? We're at one of the rooms in the abandoned building where we usually hang out and rest and now there's smoke everywhere. The fucking building's on fire.

I felt Chaeyoung grab my hands shakily as we jog out of the classroom and towards the stairs but it's already blocked by flames. Fuck.

"Hey, calm down. I'm here, we'll get out of here." I told her as I made her look at me. Tears are streaming down her face but she nod. I wiped her tears and quickly removed my jacket then asked her to cover her nose and mouth with it which she obliged immediately.

I looked around to look for another way to ge out of here and noticed that the west side looks better than the situation here. The fire probably started somewhere here in the east then.

"Let's get low, we'll use the other stairs. Don't let go of my hand okay?" I asked her and she nod again as we duck under the smoke on the hallway and towards the stairs, thank God this one's clear.

We quickly run down the stairs hand in hand. We are just two storeys away from the exit when I noticed something valuable is missing as I heard the sirens from the fire truck. I need to go back.

"Your guitar. You go, I'll get it." I said as look up at where we came from. I tried let go of her hand urge her to go ahead but she just pulled me with her and said

"Jisoo no! Come on! Forget it please let's go!"

"I'll be quick I promise." I said as I hold her in both hands and gently push her down the stairs and quickly ran back up the stairs when I let go.

It's not really that far. I could still get it. I know how much her guitar means to her. I need to save it.

"JISOO!!!" Chaeyoung shouted as she try to follow me but the burning ceiling gave in blocking her way to me.

"Chaeyoung go! I could find my way out. Just go please!" I pleaded and I saw her shake her head with tears down her cheeks. I hate seeing her like this and I will also hate it if she lose that one things she cares about the most when I know I could've saved it.

"Listen, go and call for help Chaeng. Okay? Please?" 

"I will be quick promise." I continued and this time I saw her nod with determination in her eyes as she wipe her tears and quickly jog down the stairs. And that's my cue to run the opposite way.

This is just a piece of cake. I just need to run straight and fast. I can do this.

I felt my calves and lungs burning as I ascend the stairs. Damn I need to exercise more.

I removed my shirt leaving me in just my tank top and used it to block the smoke from entering my system as the smoke gets thicker. I didn't know it will spread this fast.

I spot the guitar as I reached the classroom and quickly put it back to its bag.

Now let's get you back to your owner.

I used the route I took earlier again and noticed that some of them are already blocked with fire and look for alternative course. I'm now back on the second floor and now the fire that blocked the stairs is bigger and I can't find a way out, fire exits are also fucked. Fuck.

I can already feel my lungs getting filled by smoke and this is not the kind of smoke I usually intake and I hate it.

I walked towards the toilet which thank God still has water and wet the shirt covering my face and looked for  windows and spotted one near the stairs.

Grabbing a chair, I tried to break the glass using its corner and it successfully cracked. I then continued smashing it until the whole is big enough for the guitar to fit.

I then threw the chair to the burning wood that's blocking the stairs in hopes that it will magically disappear but it didn't even budge and the fire just consumed it too.

I can now feel my head throbbing and lungs burning at the lack of oxygen as look out the window.

There's a tree just outside, and I grab Chaeyoung's guitar from my back and threw it out. Luckily a branch caught the bag's strap.

Now it's my turn to get out of here.

I just need to grab another chair and break the window wider, enough for my body to fit and climb out.

That's all I need to do and I'm out of here. It's so simple yet my body can't seem to comprehend it. I tried to walk towards a chair that I saw but my legs can't seem to move as I feel my eyes and breathing gets heavier. My body feels heavy too. Fuck.

I tried to hold unto the window frame but failed and it's Chaeyoung's smiling face that I saw before I completely fall on the ground.