the death of a king | nyukyu -medieval au-

Sitting inside his carriage, Chanhee could hear the clicking and clacking of two horses' hooves hitting the ground. The soft sounds of nature as he played with his uncomfortable crown. He was the king of so many acres of land but had never wished to be this responsible. 

His father died after winning a war, leaving him in charge of everything. His mother had vanished out of thin air, leaving him to all of the responsibilities not only on the battlefield but also in the castle.

A blanket draped gently around him, it being the only thing he could hold for comfort. His trip was to the eastern side of his kingdom, where there was a small society ruled by one leader. Ji Changmin. He hated the formal meetings more than anything, he hated how formal people were with him, and how they all felt obliged to bow down to him. 

All he could do was sit and watch while they got down on one knee. It was society's rule. You had to be classy to the king, or you would be forcefully taken and arrested, or worse, executed. 

When the carriage finally stopped, he sighed and waited for the door to open. When it did, a servant held out his hand for Chanhee to grab. He held the man's hand, stepping out of the carriage with ease. He felt especially bad for the one who always had to assist him. Lee Hyunjae.

"My king, I have to express the fact that you look quite down right now," Hyunjae spoke, making Chanhee wince.

"I told you to stop calling me that, Jaehyun."

"I can't. They'll throw me in jail," Hyunjae spoke with a sorrowful look on his face.

"They won't as long as I tell them not to. Remember? I have that power now," Chanhee spoke, smiling at the older boy.

The captain of the squadron he had brought along with him walked up to them both, "We really must get going now. The Minister and his family are waiting for you, my king."

Chanhee felt his heart drop in his chest, nodding and walking forward. They walked inside the smaller castle, every servant inside dropping to their knees. Chanhee hated the sight, but he had to deal with it. After all, he had only just become the king a couple of days prior. 

Changmin sat at a large desk, one that extended across almost the entire room. He got up and bowed politely to the king in front of him with his hand across his chest, and his other hand behind his back. Chanhee excused everyone from behind him, and they all walked outside except for Hyunjae.

"You know I have to accompany you at all times. It's a royal rule, Chanhee."

Chanhee sighed, "I know."

Changmin frowned, watching the newly crowned king come up to him with such sorrow, "I feel for the loss of your father to the kingdom. My best condolences."

"Thank you. Now, about the letter you sent to the kingdom. You're in need of a couple of guards?" Chanhee stated, watching Changmin nod.

"The opposing kingdom is having small spies reach our areas, and they've begun to attack innocent civilians in my town. I only wrote to the kingdom because I felt that the attacks have gone too far," Changmin stated, the pure passion in his voice very apparent.

Chanhee began to think about his skills, and how he was never motivated to be king. He had never wanted the job of royal issues, government issues, and all the things his father had so proudly worked on. He snapped out of it and made a decision about what he thought his father would do.

"I am able to send in however many guards you feel are needed."

"I only need a small number of warriors. A small squadron, enough to escort a carriage."

"Then I shall travel back tonight and send some guards to your stead," Chanhee announced, looking discreetly at Hyunjae to see if he had done well.

Hyunjae smiled and nodded, making Chanhee smile a bit.

"Your father was a great man, and a great king. And I'm sure you will be as well, Choi Chanhee of the Crowned Kingdom."

Chanhee smiled. He had never been told that before. And he so hoped it would become true.