nightmares | sunhee -sad-

Sunwoo's eyes slowly fluttered open, the blurriness of his vision barely making out the time. 

12:16 AM

"Really?" He thought to himself. He sighed and laid back in his bed, rubbing his eyes and stretching. He looked over at Chanhee in the other bed, seeing him fast asleep. He looked away after, closing his eyes and trying to sleep again.

After a couple of minutes of trying to fall back asleep, he realized that he wouldn't be able to. He got up and walked to the kitchen to grab a glass of water. He gulped the water down, his adam's apple bobbing up and down over and over. 

He set the glass down and walked back towards the dorm room. Right before he entered the room, he heard a quiet whimpering noise. Opening the door and walking in, he noticed Chanhee squirming and crying as he clutched his shirt. His eyes softened and his eyebrows furrowed upwards as he walked towards the bed. 

Chanhee began to cry louder, his eyes closed and fast asleep, although his mind seemed so awake. Sunwoo crouched down and tried to get him to wake up.

"Chanhee. Chanhee, wake up," He spoke, yet nothing he said seemed to be working. He noticed the boy start to shake, and he grabbed his hand. 

Chanhee began to choke on nothing, his tears streaming down his cheeks in his sleep. Sunwoo gripped his hand tightly, trying to wake him up by shaking him gently.

"Chanhee, you need to wake up. Wake up."

Sunwoo sat on the bed and shook him, trying so hard to get him awake. Chanhee wouldn't wake up, no matter how hard he shook, spoke, or did anything. He was stuck in a nightmare.

Chanhee shook his head in his sleep, sobbing as the images in his brain terrified him, "No. No... No. No!"

He screamed and his body shot up in bed and the sweat on his forehead flew off because of the wind. He remembered the terrible images in his head, the scenario he feared most in life. The reoccurrence of the incident. 

Earlier in their career, he had been kidnapped by a fanboy and constantly beaten for a week. Not only physically, but mentally berated as well. The police found the apartment he was being held in after relentless searching and shot the person on sight. He died right in front of Chanhee's eyes. 

He held his heart, his head pounding and his hands still shaking. He swore he could almost feel the ropes around his wrists again. The ropes around his ankles. The blindfold covering his eyes.

His vision was blurry from the tears, making him unable to see anything. He panicked, worrying that he was back there again. He felt a hand touch him, jumping at the sudden touch.

"W-Who... Who is it..." His terrified voice could barely be made out by Sunwoo. 

"It's Sunwoo," He spoke, stroking his shoulder.

Chanhee recognized the voice and instantly reached his hands toward the younger boy. When he felt his chest and figured out where Sunwoo was, he was gently taken into a warm embrace. 

"You're okay. I've got you. He died, and you're safe. You're at the dorms, safe, and with me."

He held the boy tightly and stroked his hair and his back, swaying back and forth as the boy cried on his chest. These kinds of nightmares had happened before, and it scared all of the members because if they weren't awake, Chanhee would've been alone and afraid that he was back in that damned apartment.

Sunwoo looked at the door, seeing Jacob groggily looking into the room, along with Changmin.

Jacob spoke in a tired voice, "Another nightmare?"

Sunwoo nodded, still holding the crying boy in his chest. Changmin was about to ask another question, but he figured Chanhee would need peace and quiet to calm down. 

"You've got him, right?" Changmin asked. 

"Yeah, I've got him. You guys go back to sleep," Sunwoo spoke, and the two nodded and left. Sunwoo turned back to Chanhee and stroked his head, swaying. 

***

Chanhee finally calmed down after a while, backing away from the hug and sniffing, "Are there tissues anywhere?" He spoke in a congested voice.

Sunwoo smiled and stroked his forehead with his thumb, "I'll go get them real quick. You'll be okay for a little while, right?"

Chanhee nodded and rubbed his red eyes, "I'll be fine. I'm back in reality now."

Sunwoo left the room and tried his best to quickly get back. He grabbed the tissues and sort of sprinted back to the room, walking in to see the boy sitting with his legs off the bed, rubbing his eyes still. He smiled and sat next to him. 

"Tissue delivery," He spoke, handing the tissues to the small boy next to him. Chanhee chuckled a little, taking them and blowing his nose.

"It's good to see you're back in reality now."

"It feels even better to me because these nightmares fucking suck," He spoke, laughing a little. He had always used humor to cope with these intense feelings, which may not have been the best choice, but it helped him ignore his problems.

(totally not calling myself out here. '-')

"If you want, I can pull a half all-nighter with you," Sunwoo suggested, watching Chanhee's face turn into a mischievous and playful one.

"I'm gonna beat you at the try not to laugh game."

Sunwoo scoffed, "You wish."