Chapter One: A Rumor And A Plan

Sunday, February 20, 1927. Georgetown, New York

"We hear you, friends." George Fredrick, General Secretary and dictator of New York as of the last ten years, called out from his place on a podium high above the streets. He was in uniform, but had adorned it with an elaborate red cape. He didn't have much of a choice though, since red was the color of communism. 

 "All our dreams have been delayed." King George continued. That wasn't actually his title, but a nickname invented by opponents to mock his total control over the country during the early days of his regime. "His, yours, mine. The chains of the old New York were heavy. For more than a century they bound us, but we have broken them. Together, we will forge a new New York, a fair and compassionate New York, one that will be the envy of all men. That is the promise we have made, fellow New Yorker to fellow New Yorker. The king's Albany is now the people's Georgetown!" With this final statement, he ended his speech, whirled around with a snap of his cape, and disappeared from view behind a set of heavy doors. It was dramatic, but that was the way he was. 

Below, on the street, Alexander Hamilton scoffed. "They can call it Georgetown, but it will always be Albany. New name, same city."

"They could have you arrested for saying that," His friend, Aaron Burr, reminded him. 

"But they won't," Alexander told him. "And even if they tried, they could never catch me."

Alex looked around at the people, thin and surely cold in their drab garments, and felt a surge of anger. How could George Fredrick and his men do this to their own people. The revolution was supposed to make things better, but look what had come of it. "They tell us times are better, but they're not!" He burst out, unable to stay silent any longer. "They say "A brighter day is dawning, it's almost at hand," but they don't mean it. We're all poor and less free than we were under the Schuylers, but hey, we're all suffering equally, so they've achieved their aims." 

"Alex, shut up," Aaron hissed under his breath, then said louder. "Georgetown is so lovely now. I'm so thankful for the government. Isn't it so nice of them to make sure we're all equal."

"Oh it's great!" Alex said sarcastically. "The climate's great, I love being cold all the time, and standing in bread lines for food that makes me sick is my favorite thing!"

"Alex," Aaron elbowed him this time. "We're good and loyal comrades, remember? Our favorite color's red."

"Yeah, I just love red, comrade." 

"Listen, Alex," Aaron said, placing a hand on his shoulder and speaking quietly into his ear. "I don't think this is right either. But this is the price we pay for holding a revolution. I know it's not fair that we have to suffer the consequences of something that happened when we were children, but there's nothing we can do. We just have to keep our heads down and try to find a way out."

"Alexander!" Someone yelled, and he turned to see John Laurens, his other friend, pushing through the crowd toward them. "Alexander! You'll never guess what I heard!"

"What?" Alex asked John as soon as he caught up to them. "I hope it's where we can get more food or how we can leave, but I'll take some wood to repair the shack we live in."

"They're saying that the King's middle daughter, Princess Elizabeth, might have survived. Her body got lost in all the chaos after the revolution, and they think that's because she was actually alive and she escaped."

Frustrated, Alex sighed. "That's your big news! They've been saying that for years. It's practically part of our history. How is that going to help us?"

"But it gets better," John told him. "I heard a new part today. Her aunt in Philadelphia will pay ten million dollars to have her returned safely. Ten. Million. Dollars!"

John and Alex looked at one another, twin devious smiles spreading across their faces. Before either of them could voice the thought they were both having, however, Aaron gave a cry and snatched something from the wall of a nearby building. 

"Another wanted poster!" He yelled, crumpling up the paper. "And this time we're all on it! I should have gotten out of New York when I had the chance!"

"I have a plan Aaron," Alex told him. 

"It's probably another one of your illegal schemes," His friend said, covering his face with his hands as if that would stop him from being arrested. "Well, count me out. I don't want to spend the rest of my life rotting in prison."

"It will get us to Philadelphia," Alex told him, a persuasive note in his voice. 

"Fine," His friend conceded. "But if it doesn't work, count me out of your schemes for good."

"If you want to be a loyal servant of communist land, fine." John said with a shrug. "But you won't have to, because this is going to work."

Watching John convince Aaron, Alex smiled. Sometimes it felt like he and John shared a brain.

"The Princess Elizabeth's going to get us out of here Aaron," Alex told him. "We're going to find a girl to play the part of Elizabeth, teach her what to say, then dress her up and take her to Philadelphia.This will be our legacy."

Aaron's eyes lit up with excitement as he realized what Alex and John were suggesting. "Think of how much money her aunt will pay if we bring her back."

John grinned and slung one arm over each of his friend's shoulders. "Who else could pull it off but the three of us."