Chapter Three: Two Cans Of Beans

Sunday, February 20, 1927. Georgetown, New York

John, Alex, and Aaron huddled around the small table in their living quarters, hammering out the details of their plan to fool everyone. 

"We have to have something of the Schuylers." John told them. "Something to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that we have the real Elizabeth."

"But we won't have the real Elizabeth," Aaron said, ripping a small piece off of the loaf of bread they were sharing and stuffing it into his mouth.

"Well of course not," Alex told him. "It's not like we're going to dig up the real Elizabeth."

"Of course we wouldn't do that," John joked. "Nobody even knows where the Schuylers were buried."

With a groan, Alex covered his face with his hands. "That was the worst joke you've ever told, John."

"I'm a master of bad jokes," John said with a grin. Annoying his friends, particularly Alex, was one of his favorite pastimes. "Anyway, I doubt we'll be the only ones trying to con our way to the money. Anyone can research the Schuyler family. There might even be nobles with this idea. We have to have some artifact that sets us apart."

"And where are we going to get those?" Aaron queried. "Shall we break into the palace? I'm sure it's already been picked clean, but it's worth a try."

"Just leave it to me," John told them, standing up and pulling his dark blonde hair into a ponytail. "I have some contacts in this lovely helpful place called the black market."

---

John walked briskly down a nearby street, for once paying close attention to the calls of vendors selling their merchandise. He wasn't worried about whether or not the things they claimed were Schuyler originals actually were. Just like everything else in their Elizabeth plan, it didn't have to be real, it just had to look the part. 

"A dollar for this painting," One man yelled, brandishing it in John's face. "It's Schuyler, I swear!" 

As John pondered whether or not the painting was a good catch, others who made their living selling items from the monarchy noticed his interest and flocked over.

One man in a coonskin cap several sizes too small held up a picnic basket. "Count Lincoln's pajamas, comrade. Buy them by the pair!"

Shaking his head, John took a step away from the man. Pajamas would do him no good in convincing the Dowager Countess their impostor was her actual niece. 

A third seller got up close to John, holding up a solid gold music box that glittered with jewels. "I found this in the palace!" he confided in a yell. "It's initialed with an E. It could be Elizabeth's. How much will you pay?"

A music box initialed with an E. It couldn't get much better than that, John decided. It was personal enough that it might have actually belonged to her.

"Two cans of beans for it, comrade?"  John suggested, pulling them from his pockets. 

The man smiled widely, revealing several missing teeth. "Done." John handed over the beans, and the man passed him the music box. Now it was time to get back to Alex and Aaron and plan the auditions

---

Alex started at the music box on the table. They had polished it to a shine, and golden light reflected off it onto his friend's face, looking lovely against his ginger hair and blue violet eyes. 

"Do you believe in fairy tales?" He asked softly, gazing at the engraved E. 

"I used to when I was a kid," John replied.

"Well we're going to create a fairy tail the whole world will believe,"

"We've got to make it believable first," Aaron said, sitting down beside them at the table. "What about the girl? What should she be like?"

"The girl should be gullible and willing to be taught," John suggested.

"Someone who will never have a clue," Alex added.

"We've got to avoid being caught," Aaron said, half in agreement, half reminded them all. 

Alex smiled, tapping the music box. "Who else could pull it off but the three of us."

"We'll be rich!" John enthused.

"And we'll be out," Aaron reminded them, as if that was the most important part.

"We'll be rich and we'll be out," Alex compromised. "And Albany will have some more to talk about."

Aaron paused, a pensive expression on his face. "How are we going to get the word out about the Elizabeth auditions?"

"I have an idea." Alex stood and went to the window, throwing open the shutters. "Alexander is holding Elizabeth Schuyler auditions right here tomorrow!" He yelled, then slammed them closed again.

Aaron groaned, placing his forehead on the table. "I'm telling you, you're going to get us all arrested."

"Oh come on," Alex protested, waving a hand airily. "These guys would never sell us out, and I'll bet we have at least three girls on our doorstep tomorrow morning."

"Three that aren't here for Alex, anyway." Aaron grumbled. "The things I've heard about you from those girls."

"Well I'm sorry for enjoying a little female company now and then," Alex said, but he was grinning widely.

"You better not romance our Elizabeth candidate," John told him. "Then she'll want to stay with you instead of fulfilling her duty as a princess, and we'll never get the reward money.

"You have nothing to worry about," Alex soothed him. "I'm sure I can keep my charm in check." He gave a brilliant smile, the same one he used to make ladies swoon, and John punched him in the shoulder.

"I'm not one of your lady friends. I need action, not just a winning smile,"

Alex rubbed his shoulder. "Oh, so my smile is winning now, Mr. Laurens." 

This time it was Aaron who punched him. 

After a brief scuffle in which was proved nothing but that Alex could throw a mean punch, John, Aaron, and Alex returned to their seats around the table. 

"What a mystery this is," Aaron mused.

"Mystery!" Alex protested. "This is the biggest con in history!"

"But there's always a core of truth to the rumors," Aaron reminded him. "What if the real Elizabeth is out there, and somebody else finds her?"

Alex shook his head. "It's unlikely."

"But not impossible," John put in. "Don't worry about it though, by then we'll be off with the reward money wherever we plan to go."

Alex shrugged. "I've heard Washington DC is nice this time of year." 

Author's Note: Sorry this entire chapter is pretty dialogue heavy, but I needed to do some set up for things to come and establish their dynamic. 

Historical Note: Count Lincoln is Major General Benjamin Lincoln, a native Massachusite who served in the New York campaign during the American Revolution, was present at Yorktown as Washington's second in command, and served as Secretary of War during the days of the Articles of Confederation.