Chapter Seven: Yet Another Plan

Monday, February 21, 1927. Georgetown, New York.

Alex held the grainy black and white photograph, taken from a 1916 newspaper article, out in front of him, comparing it with Beth, who sat silently on the floor, watching him. After hearing her story in the theater, Alex, John and Aaron had determined her to be a possible Elizabeth candidate and rushed her back to their house for photographic comparison.

"There's definitely a resemblance," He decided, studying the identical hairlines and eye shapes of Beth and Princess Elizabeth. They had different face shapes, but that was fine. The picture had been taken when Elizabeth was eight. She would surely have a different facial structure by seventeen. Even their descriptions matched, straight black or brown (depending on the source) hair that fell midway down her back, brown eyes, light skin, a delicate frame. If he didn't know better, Alex would think he was looking at The Princess Elizabeth herself. 

"What are you talking about?" Beth asked him, but he ignored her.

"Have you heard the rumors about The Princess Elizabeth?" John asked innocently, doing his own comparison.

"Of course I have," she replied. "Everyone has. But that's all they are, isn't it?" The note of doubt in her voice sealed the deal for Alex. She could be convinced to play the part of Elizabeth. Heck, if they really wanted to, they could convince her she was Elizabeth.

"Maybe we can help you after all, Beth." Alex told her, quickly formulating a plan. It might be awfully mean, but he was willing to bet that it would work. "It just so happens that we were going to Philadelphia ourselves."

A slow smile spread across Beth's face, but her eyes remained hesitant. "And you would take me with you?"

"Yes," Alex told her. "If you come with us as Princess Elizabeth Schuyler."

He could already see a myriad of questions forming on Beth's lips, but before she had a chance to ask a single one, John grabbed her hand and pulled her to her feet. "Come on," He exclaimed. "We have a lot to do."