Chapter Nineteen: Beth's Secret

Wednesday, March 9, 1927. Georgetown, New York. 

"Beth! Beth!" Alexander called, shaking the limp form in his arms. Trying to stay calm, he looked around. How could he get her down from here and to a hospital, because that was where they undoubtedly needed to go. 

Before he could decide anything, however, her lovely brown eyes fluttered open. "Alex?" She said, but it sounded more like a question. 

Overcome with relief, Alex pulled Beth into a sitting position and hugged her impulsively. She returned the hug, head resting comfortably on his shoulder for an instant, then pulled back and directed a glare his way. "The head rush you just caused me."

"You just passed out and you're going to complain about getting a head rush!" Alex said incredulously, staring at her.

"Yes," Beth said, standing and shrugging on her coat. She still clutched the music box, now shut, tightly in one hand. 

"What happened?" He asked her. He knew Beth had had some head trauma in the past, but she'd never once just passed out like that.  

"I-" Beth started, then paused. "I don't really know. Now,"  she clapped her hands, returning briskly to reality as if nothing had ever happened. "How soon do you think we can get out? They're canceling trains right and left."

Alex tried his best to push away his worries. Beth would tell him what had happened in her own time, if there was even anything to say. But as soon as his personal worries had been relieved, he remembered the other huge, looming problem before them. He had tried to play it off as nothing earlier, but now, Alex couldn't bring himself to hide the severity of their situation from Beth any longer. He bit his lip and looked down. "We're not even close to the sum we need to get out, and now that the redcoats know what's up... I'm so sorry Beth."

"What are you saying," the woman asked him, looking at Alex anxiously. Several strands of black hair fell into her face and she pushed them away impatiently. 

He sighed. "I thought I could get us out before they closed the borders."

Tears sprang to Beth's eyes and she wiped at them, looking frustrated with herself. "You were the only hope I had," She choked out. "How will I ever find my family now!"

"We'll find someone who can help you, Beth," Alex told her. He could see how emotionally fraught she was and felt personally responsible. If he hadn't told her he could help her, or worse, convinced Beth that she was Princess Elizabeth, she would be a lot happier right now. Heck, she might even be out of New York, living her dream life with whoever was waiting for her there. 

Alex reached over and squeezed her hand. "Beth, I'm so sorry. I'll give you your money back if we can't find someone. It should be enough to get you safely back to Buffalo and away from all this. You could even try crossing Lake Ontario into Canada if the redcoats come after you there."

Something about his words must have meant something to Beth, because some of the despair left her eyes and she held up a hand to silence him. "Close your eyes," She said, reaching into one coat pocket. 

"What for?" He asked her. Did Beth want to give him the music box back after it had clearly meant so much to her?

She sighed "You're the stubbornest person I've ever met, except maybe my sister Angelica."

Oh she's in deep, Alex realized with a pang. If we can't get Beth out of the country, I might have ruined her life forever. On that worrying note, he closed his eyes. 

"Now put your hand out," Beth directed, much as he had done not very long before. Something very cold and light came to rest in Alex's palm. Its edges were sharp and polished. Intensely curious, he was just about to take a peek when her voice came again. "Open."

Alex opened his eyes. In his palm was a small clear stone slightly smaller than a dime. Its facets made the moonlight into little rainbows that danced across his palm. Realizing what it was, his breath caught in his throat. "It's a diamond."

Beth nodded, watching him warily. "Martha, one of the nurses at the hospital, found it sewed in my underclothes. She hid it for me until the day I could go. She even kept it a secret from Mary and Betsy. Why, I don't know. The day I left, she told me, "Don't tell a soul until the moment you must." I had to make sure I found someone that I trust."

"You've had it all this time without telling me?" Alex asked. And no, he was not upset that it had taken Beth this long to fully trust him, when what he felt for her was surely more than trust. A very deep friendship seemed appropriate to describe the bond they shared. 

"Yes," Beth told him. "I had to. It's the only thing of value I have. Without it, I have almost nothing."

Alex ginned mischievously. Normally John was the one who couldn't be serious, but his friend wasn't here right now, so Alex had to step up to the plate. "What if I just take it and go?" For effect, he stood up as if to leave. 

Playfulness danced in Beth's eyes and she stood to meet him. "But then you'd never see me again. What a shame that would be. I'm half the reason you're not in jail for some petty offense, Mr. Hamilton."

Alex mock glared at her. "If you weren't a girl, I'd-" He started, then decided he was very glad Beth was a girl and swept her up in a hug. Beth giggled and hugged him back tightly.

Before either of them could say or do anything else, a noise bounced up through the alley way to reach their ears. Three bright, clear, whistled notes. 

Alex jumped, recognizing the sound. It was their secret signal, something they could use to identify each other when names were too dangerous. They didn't have to use it much, but they'd all practiced the whistle to perfection so it could serve its purpose when the time came. He returned the signal, mind already spinning with possabilities. Beth gave him a confused look, but Alex didn't have time to debrief her. "Come on," he told her, heading toward the ladder. "I'll explain later."