Chapter Thirty One: A Dress And A Dance

Friday, March 11, 1927

Alex's conversation with John Hancock lasted so long that Beth was beginning to wonder if he was even trying to secure their passage on a boat or just having a casual conversation with the man. Finally though, he returned to their table. 

"There's a boat leaving from Dock Three tomorrow afternoon," He declared triumphantly, sinking into a seat next to Beth. 

"But none of our money will be good in Pennsylvania," Aaron worried. "We don't have time to find a money changer."

"We'll barter our bikes for money," Beth responded instantly. Finally, they were almost to the end of their journey. She was not going to have her excitement stalled by Aaron's concerns. 

John nodded. "That at least, is something we know how to do."

Alex rolled his eyes, but didn't acknowledge the teasing annoyance in his friend's voice. "Anyway, who else is beat? Captain Hancock is letting us sleep on his boat tonight."

No one was about to complain, so they got up and left the bar. The storm had ended a few minutes ago, and now shafts watery late afternoon sunlight were lighting up the soaked street. Puddles are all good fun when you're a kid, but after a ten block walk through the streets that ended in soaked shoes and socks, Beth firmly believed in the appeal of dry weather

"There's our ride," Alex said, pointing to a small cargo vessel. "The Liberty."

Smiling, Beth sized up the distance between them and the ship. "Race you!" Without waiting for an answer or a sendoff, she sprinted off toward the dock, her boots splashing into what felt like every puddle.

Laughing, Alex caught up with Beth, then easily breezed past her. "I've never seen you so happy Beth!" he called back to her, gaining even more ground. 

As she ran, Beth pondered it, and realized he was right. She was happier right now, in this moment, broke and homeless in a port town in New Jersey, than she could ever remember being. Maybe it had to do with being free from King George's grasp, but Beth was pretty sure her sudden joy was more to do with chasing her dream. For the first time in what felt like forever, it finally seemed reachable. In just a day, she was going to be in Philadelphia. Her dream was going to be reality

Beth reached the ship just seconds behind Alex, reaching a hand out over the water to tap the hull and officially claim second place. John was just seconds behind her, but Aaron was several lengths back, keeping to an easy jog. 

"Children!" He called to them, and everybody laughed. 

---

Night was falling aboard the Liberty. Beth sat in the single, minute cabin, really meant for the captain, but gifted to her on account of being the only woman on board. Whether it was the belief that women couldn't handle rough conditions or a matter of protecting her virtue she wasn't sure, but decided to just take the kindness.

 She decided to take advantage of the time alone to brush out her hair. It wasn't an easy task. She hadn't had a moment of downtime to preform the task in several days, and the knots in the long black strands were prevalent and tight.

Just as she finally got the last tangle out, there was a knock on the cabin door. Beth stood and opened it to find Alex standing there, clutching a box.

"I bought you a dress," he declared, practically shoving it into her hands. "We can't have you looking like a tramp when you meet the Dowager Countess."