Amber & Cobalt

Normally Alec would hate being in one room with so many people, it'd make his heart beat faster, his palms sweaty and his stutter even worse.

But this time was different. Alec let his eyes wander over the room. On the floor in front of the lit fireplace sat Simon and Clary trying to teach some mundane card game to Jace who just was not getting it, earning himself giggles and snickers from the former mundane pair as Jace's face scrunched up in frustration.

Even though at first Alec disliked them both, the redhead more than the mundane ... well vampire now he couldn't help but feel protective over both of them now. They must have grown on him over the time, Alec mused.

For Alec expressing affection never came easy, expressing himself at all in fact. His sister and parabatai were the only ones who could bring out the fierce protective big brother in him, so it came as quite a big shock to Alec himself when he realised one day just how protective he's become of Clary and Simon. He's even started looking at Clary as a little sister, not that he'd ever admit it out loud.

Till this day Alec is not quite sure when and how it happened, what changed for him to feel this way towards them but he was happy for it, even though the redhead still gets on his nerves he no longer finds her irritating instead they banter and mess around like children playing pranks on each other and even getting the occasional taco or two together when the group gets dragged to clubs or somewhere the pair doesn't enjoy.

'Huh,' Alec thought. Maybe that's how it happened, maybe they bonded when they would slip out and hide from their significant others dragging them clubbing. Neither of them enjoyed the club scene too much, Alec more so than Clary but even she only danced occasionally and had a drink whereas their significant others could dance all night.

Next to him Magnus and Isabelle were talking intensively about the upcoming fashion week in Milan, Alec tuned them out a while ago as the conversation did not interest him and he had no input to put forward on fashion.

Alec let his eyes wander over the room once more and a smile crept up to his face. His heart swelled with sudden affection. He was happy. He had an extraordinary and loving boyfriend, something he'd never thought he'd have, acceptance from his sister and parabatai, even some new unexpected friends.

Alec looked back towards his boyfriend and sister chatting happily, it filled his heart with love to see them get along so well. He glanced down to see Magnus had moved his hand and placed it on Alec's knee, his thumb rubbing gentle circles. This made Alec smile even more.

Alec reached with both of his hands and intertwined their fingers placing them in his lap. His thumb found the outline of the many rings decorating his warlocks fingers and he let his fingers fumble with them.

Alec twisted and turned the rings on Magnus's fingers studying the intricate patterns and colours on each. With some, you could tell the ring was centuries old in design, others seemed more modern, but all looked beautiful on his warlocks caramel fingers with black nail polish. However only one caught Alec's eye enough.

On Magnus's middle finger sat a black band, silver on the inside, black on the outside. Alec ran his thumb on the ring realising there were two lines running around the ring engraved into it, coming to a stop on both sides of a beautiful black onyx gem. At Least Alec guessed it was black onyx.

He slowly pulled the ring of Magnus's finger to study it closer up leaving Magnus's hand to rest on his thigh. Looking closer Alec realised there was a small 'M' engraved on the inside of the ring.

He placed it on one of his own fingers trying to find one it would fit on, it fit on his right-hand middle finger, and Alec lifted his hand a little to examine how the deep black ring looked on his pale fingers.