The Scars Of His Profession

"Alexander, I'm home!" Magnus's voice rang through the loft as he entered, the sweet smell of home hitting his nostrils.

Magnus was halfway to the sofa when he realised there was no reply or greeting from his boyfriend.

"Alec?" Magnus tried again and listened intently to any indication that Alec was home. Magnus frowned and sighed defeated, Alec had promised he'd be home tonight, it's been almost two weeks since the couple has been able to go to sleep together with Alec's more frequent nightly patrols and paperwork taking up the majority of his day.

Magnus suddenly feeling tired and deflated went to take his jacket off when something caught his eye. Alec's bow and quiver were placed by the door, his scruffy boots next to it and his jacket from this morning hung above.

The frown on Magnus's face deepened as he turned in a circle, letting his eyes wander over the loft again to find Alec. Magnus peeked his head around the corner to where the kitchen was and found it empty. The loft was quiet, too quiet for his clumsy shadowhunter to be home.

"Alexander?" Magnus called out again if somewhat quieter and concern laced with his voice.

Magnus slowly made his way towards the hallway peeking into his own workroom as he passed by for good measure only to find it empty as he expected.

Magnus walked down the hallway passing by multiple other rooms but was only focused on getting to their bedroom. 'Maybe he's fallen asleep' Magnus thought as he reached for the double doors that'd take him to his room.

Magnus opened the doors and scanned the bedroom, only to find it empty and dark beside the bedside lamp and the light pouring from the crack of the open bathroom door.

'Alexander' Magnus thought his heart did a little flip as his mind raced, all negative thoughts leaving him as he made his way to the bathroom to greet his shadowhunter. He couldn't help the grin that had started to spread on his face when he reached and slowly pushed the bathroom door wider so he could peek through, leaning against the door frame when he spotted Alec.

Magnus let his eyes roam over Alec's angelic body, the strong muscular arms, the curve of his ass, the gorgeous pale skin making the black runes stand out on Alec's muscular back.

Not for the first time, Magnus cursed and thanked the Angel himself for creating such sinful and heavenly beauty that is his Alexander. Before he could completely devour Alexander with just his eyes he froze as his eyes landed on his angel's face.

Magnus stopped as an odd feeling took place over his short-lived joy of seeing his Alexander home and shirtless.

Alec stood frozen, in just his boxers in front of a full-length mirror to the side of the bathroom his back to Magnus. There was a pained expression on his face, his brows furrowed and his eyes looked a little puffy. 'Has Alec been crying?'

Magnus's heart broke at that thought and he shook himself before lifting his hand and gently knocking on the door as to not startle Alec who still hasn't noticed his presence.

The echo of the gentle knock seemed to have broken Alec out of his trance with a slight jump as their eyes locked in the reflection of the mirror. Alec's eyes were wide and his lips slightly parted as if to say something when their eyes met. He looked like he was caught doing something he shouldn't have.

For a stunned moment, all was quiet before Magnus decided to break the silence.

"Hi, Angel. I've been calling out for you, why didn't you respond?" Magnus said as he took steps closer to his shadowhunter.

"Huh? oh - I -I must off ... not heard you... all the way here" Alec stuttered out his voice sounding a little rough.

Magnus could see the way Alec hugged his torso and avoided eye contact as he spoke before his eyes landed on a shirt that was placed on the sink and he reached for it before pulling it over his head in one swift motion before Magnus could even blink.