Time continues (and my chapters continue to lesson in title creativity)

I would love to tell you that I was able to accept my brother's death immediately after Callan's and my heart to heart (or lip to lip...)

But if I told you that I would be a complete liar. And I try to keep my honesty level fairly high.

It took me at least three weeks to even come to terms with the event, but I don't think I'll ever be completely healed emotionally.

Today is the one month mark from Phoenix's death, and Callan has ignored me.

Well I don't know if he was ignoring me for a month straight or what? He had only shown up at like four classes, and when he had, he wouldn't even look at me. And he didn't get home until really late if not at all.

It's not like I was watching for him.

Okay, well tonight I was.

I mean? You don't make out with someone like that and then ignore them to the point of insanity.

Right?

There was a knock on my door.

"Come in!" I said. Maura and Kira walked in.

"Hey babe, why have you been up here all night? We are watching Bridesmaids. Come on!" Maura said.

"Ev, I can't believe you are still up! You are always sleeping by like nine!" Kira quipped.

"You are so right, Kir, so I am gonna try to fall asleep. Thanks for the invite guys!"

"This isn't about your brother, Ev? Because you shouldn't coop up in your room."

"No, I'm really tired. Goodnight guys!" I blew them an exaggerated kiss. The shrugged and left my room.

It wasn't until four am, as my eyes were slowly dropping shut for the night, when Callan's light switched on and I saw his silhouette shift behind his curtain. His window was open, so I flung mine open as well and shouted to him.

"Why are you avoiding me?" I yelled. He froze. What felt like twelve years, but actually was like half of a minute later, his curtains opened and he peeked out.

"I'm not avoiding you!" He shouted back. I picked up my calendar whiteboard that I kept on my desk. Each square had at least one black tally mark and one or two had a pink or yellow one.

See I don't like when people don't talk to me. So all of the people I would like to associate with have a color. Every day they don't talk to me, they get a small tally in the day box.

It might seem desperate, but it's really not. It's just organizational. Like, what if I hadn't talked to Maura in a week, then obviously I have to catch up with her.

I pointed my finger at the black dashes.

"Every black dash represents a day you didn't say a word to me. If that's not avoiding me, I honestly don't know what is. Please, why won't you talk to me?"

"Ever," he started.

"No, don't. Don't make up some shitty excuse Callan. Why won't you even look at me?"

"It's just, no, I don't want to be rude, Ever."

"Say it, Callan."

"Fine! Ever I made a huge mistake kissing you back. I knew you would get butt-hurt about it. I'm not a relationship type of person. I don't want to make a commitment. Aida ruined it for me. But you are obviously a relationship sort of person, and I can't be that person. And I can't face my issues cause I'm a fucking coward."

"Okay, sorry to make this all touchy, and heart to heart, but I was in a terrible place, I mean my friggin brother died, and you were here comforting me, and I don't know what happened. Also, how the hell am I "obviously a relationship person?""

"Ever you're eighteen and still a virgin."

"I'll be nineteen in two months."

"Even worse," we both laughed.

"Well no one would know if I was a relationship person, as I have never been in a relationship."

"What?!" His mouth dropped in mock surprisedness.

"Yeah, well my dad didn't want me dating until I was eighteen. Most dads say that but don't mean it but he was fucking strict. My sister went on a date and was grounded for two months."

"That's ridiculous. You have had no social life."

"Yeah, but don't tell Maura, she will try to play matchmaker."

"Wait your BFFTLENE doesn't know?" He laughed, using the expression Maura liked to use. It stood for best friends for totally like ever no exceptions.

"No she thinks I dated Freddie McIntosh and Brett Shueman. Neither of them exist." I waggled my eyebrows.

"Well then I have to play match maker!"

"No! Come on, you are not setting me up with one of your slutty friends."

"Slutty?"

"Yes."

"Come on, do you want to die a cat lady?"

"I'm allergic to cats."

"Fuck. Then you will frickin die alone!"

"I'll just annoy you until eternity. I mean, you aren't going to be in a relationship."

"Come on, one tiny little date. You guys can just go to the beach for two hours. Then you're done."

"Fine."

"Okay I know who I'm sending you with."

"Who?"

"My roommate, Sam. He and his girl friend broke up two weeks ago and he has been weird. Let me talk to him. I'll be right back. Stay."

He came back five minutes later.

"Be ready at five, dress nicely as well please? This is your first date. Ever." He winked.