Twenty Six

I woke up feeling decent today.

The painful feeling in my stomach has subsided since the past week has gone by. Which is good, but if I move a certain way the sharp pain comes back. So they've moved me onto morphling if need be for when the sharp pains come and go. Although when I take it, it puts me right to sleep. I can see why so many people in the districts are addicted to it, it gives you a feeling of euphoria. However, it does give me really weird dreams. Normally of the games, though surprisingly not about killing people.

Cato drops by every so often. I initially thought that he was going to come in just like I had every day, but he doesn't. He comes in every couple of days and doesn't stay for too long. It makes me sad, that he doesn't stay. Maybe he secretly wished that I would leave when I visited him.

And about my past statement?

He didn't remember.

Not yet anyway. Or at least he's telling me he doesn't - it must've been a weird coincidence that he just called me his old nickname. It hurt though, like things mostly hurt me recently.

Dealing with the emotional pain that Roland has brought me has been difficult to deal with. It was hard for me to trust people to begin with, and now, I have to worry about my next best friend getting me shot.

He was in on our plans, he was in on our everything. So now, I lost my best friend.

And we may lose this war because of him.

I sat up from my bed early that morning. I had to take my time, but I could do it. A nurse ran in and grabbed my arm. I motioned for her to get off, and she did. But she still stayed.

"You know Katalina, you're very stubborn," A familiar voice said. I lifted my head up, and saw Virginia. I stuck my lips out as I threw the covers off myself. "What are you doing?"

"I've been stuck in this bed for over a week now, I'm going to walk around," I told her. She ran around to the other side of the bed, grabbing my arm to stop me.

"No you're not, your father told me strict instructions-"

"You think I care what he thinks?" I asked not caring that I interrupted her. I swung my legs over the side of the bed, slowly.

"Well I do," Virginia said sternly. I looked at her with a scowl. "You don't scare me you know." She used the mom tone with me, one I'm sure she's used with her own daughter - whoever that was.

"Maybe you should share that confidence with your fellow workers," I said and raised my eyebrows at them. "They seem to be scared shitless of me." She chuckled.

"Well, I can see why," She said in a matter-of-fact tone. I don't give anyone an easy time around here. I tried to get up again and she stopped me. I sent her a glare. "You're not leaving this bed. It's only been a week."

"It's actually been a week and a half," I emphasized the half. She rolled her eyes. "If you're not going to help me get up, I'll just get up myself." Why couldn't this lady just let me walk? I want to see Katniss. The door slid open and someone rushed to my side.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I sighed when I heard a deep voice. I felt a big warm hand on my elbow that tried to sit me back down. I pushed his hand away, even though a voice inside me cried for me to leave it there.

"Cato stop," I demanded. He scrunched his eyebrows. "I'm going for a walk."

"No you're not," He said back in the attitude filled tone I gave him. "You're going to hurt yourself again. What if you fell and reopened your stitches?" I rolled my eyes and sat back on the bed.