8

Saying Tiffany was depressed would be an understatement

Saying Tiffany was depressed would be an understatement. It had barely been a day and she was still not coping well with the fact that Bucky was missing in action. She was given the letter that Colonel Phillips would be sending to his family. He let her read it and read his file as well. He didn't say a word about how silent she was being either. Peggy was out watching the show that was meant to boost the morale of the troops.

All Tiffany wanted to do was find Steve because he needed to hear it from her. She didn't want him to find out from anyone else. He deserved to hear it from her. She could hear a bunch of movement outside but didn't even look up from her spot.

"Tiffany-"

She immediately stood up and ran over to Steve, "Oh, my God."

"Well, if it isn't the Star-Spangled Man with a Plan. And what is your plan today?"

Steve put a hand behind Tiffany's head and held her close, "I need the casualty list from Azzano."

Colonel Phillips glanced down at Tiffany and then back to him, "I think you already know, son."

"I need to see it myself." Steve still didn't release Tiffany, he felt her small arms wrap firmly around his waist and that was all he needed to know. But he had to read the name on the paper.

Colonel Phillips picked up the list and handed it over to him, "I'm sorry."

Steve read off the name on the paper and shut his eyes. He dropped the paper and squeezed Tiffany tightly. "What about the others? Are you planning a resume mission?"

Tiffany dropped her arms and stepped back from Steve. She hadn't even thought of that. What if Bucky was alive? He could be alive and in some Hydra prison."

"Yeah." Colonel Phillips answers, "It's called winning the war."

"But if you know where they are, why not at least-"

"They're thirty miles behind the lines." Colonel Phillips answers before Steve could finish. "Through the most heavily fortified territory in Europe. We'd lose more men than we'd save. But I don't expect you to understand that, because you're a chorus girl."

Steve glared down at Colonel Phillips, "I think I understand just fine."

"Well then understand it somewhere else. If I read the posters correctly, you got some place to be in thirty minutes."

As Colonel Phillips walks away, Steve looks at the military map which shows where the men are. Tiffany follows his gaze as he responds, "Yes, sir. I do."

"I'll bring him back to his tent." Tiffany says as she looks over at Colonel Phillips, "I want some time with him."

Steve stepped out of the tent with her and instantly lifted her off the ground in a hug. "I'm sorry, Tiffany."

"I got to see him for a bit." Tiffany mumbles before being set back down. She started to walk with him, "Before he was sent here."

"I'm going after him." Steve got into his tent and started to pack his things, "I know where he is. I'm going to get him and the other soldiers."