| 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏 |

𝐄𝐌𝐌𝐀'𝐒 𝐏𝐎𝐕:

I am awoken from my peaceful slumber by my dad who is currently throwing a pillow at my head.

"Wake up Em! We have a new recruit coming in. He should be here soon" I groan in response as I sit up rubbing my head.

"Seriously? Another recruit?"

"Sadly yes. Irene insisted on bring this kid over. He's about your age, too. So, please, get up and get changed" I sigh and get up as he nods and closes the door. I decide to take a shower so that I don't look like a mess. Once I'm done, I get changed into black ripped skinny jeans and a white cropped tank top. I throw on my combat boots that I absolutely love and dry my hair. After  a few minutes, my hair goes to it's naturally wavy self, but I put it up into a messy bun. I then apply my daily mascara and head downstairs.

I find my dad drinking coffee on the island in our kitchen while looking into a file.

"Hey dad"

"Hey hun" I go and pet our adorable dog while he eats as I go and grab an apple from the counter.

"So, is that the new recruits file?" I ask in between bites.

"Yeah actually. According to Irene, he's off the charts"

"Well is he?" He thinks for a second, not taking his eyes off the file in front of him.

"Yeah. Yeah he is." We both sit there in silence as he continues to read the file. Once he's done, he slides the file over to me. I look at him then to the file. I open it and start to read.

Mitch Rapp.

He really is about my age. He's 25, I'm 22. As I'm about to finish reading his file, I hear a car pull-up. My dad and I look at each other and nod before we get up and head towards the door. I throw the apple core into the trash before we step out.

My dad steps out first, then me. He pulls out a cigarette and lights it as he goes down the steps slowly.

"Dad, that's just gonna piss her off, you know that right?" I say pointing to the cigarette.

"That's the point" I scoff shacking my head crossing my arms as he snickers. And there she is. Irene Kennedy. She knows where we live and how muddy it is here yet, she comes in heels. I guess she likes getting her heels dirty.

"I thought you were supposed to be on the patch?" She asks as she walks up the end of the stairs.

My dad simply ignores her question and continues down the stairs and takes his glasses off and stares at the car. I then turn my gaze to the car to try and see our new recruit, but then I'm reminded that the car has tainted windows. My attention is then brought back by Irene as she talks to me.

"Hey Emma, how are you doing?"

"I'm okay. Had to wake up earlier on my rest day for this new recruit though, better be worth it." She sends me a small smile and nod as she turns her attention to my dad.

"You saw those tests?"

"Yeah, I saw them." Honestly, my dad sounds like he just wants to get this over with and send him off to the bunkers with the rest of the recruits.

"He's off the charts." My dad just turns to look at her while leaning on the railings of the stairs.

"We've seen off the charts before" I say stepping a few steps down as they both turn to look at me. My dad nods back at Irene pointing back at me with his thumb