The Video Footage

Nikki's Point of View

The first clip we watch shows a clip of Mackenzie and Patrick outside the school, talking. We watch silently.

Video Feed:
Mackenzie: "Come on Patrick."

Patrick: "Why'd you drag me here? A man like me has stuff to attend to, you know."

Mackenzie: "My best friend has been dying to get a date with you, Patrick."

Patrick: "Is that so? Well, I'd be willing to kiss her, but for a price."

Mackenzie: "You set a hard bargain, Patrick. But I'm sure she'll love it. Thank you so much. Can I set a date and time?"

Patrick: "I'm always free to kiss a girl."

Mackenzie: "Thanks so much, Patrick.

She hands Patrick a 50 dollar bill and he accepts it. He stuffs it in his shirt pocket and Mackenzie sashays away.

(Winston stops the clip.)

I sit there, awed. I can't believe Mackenzie would stoop this low. What is her problem with me? I reach out for Brandon's hand and he grabs it. He holds it tight and rubs his thumb up and down across my palm, calming me.

Winston: "How do you explain this, Mrs. Hollister?"

How do you explain this Mackenzie?

Mackenzie fidgeted in her seat and looked at the ground. She just sighed and looked up, her bright blue eyes seemed to throw daggers toward everyone except the principal. She sat up in her chair and began to speak.

Mackenzie: "I have no idea where you found that, Mr. Winston, but I assure you there has to be some mistake."

Winston: "We'll see about that, Mrs. Hollister."

She just smiles and settles back in her chair.

Winston switches the video feed back on to the moment when Mackenzie and Brandon are talking. I watch closely, because I hadn't seen this yet.

Brandon's hand grips mine slightly tighter as the feed comes on.

Video Feed:

Mackenzie: "Hey, Brandon. How are you, hon?"

She smiles a devious smile and twirls her hair between her fingers.

Brandon: "I was good before you came."

She sighs and pouts.

Mackenzie: "Oh, Brandon. You heard from Nikki, didn't you?"

Mackenzie: "She's been spreading stupid rumors around. She just doesn't want you to know she's been hanging out with another guy. She wants you to get another guy jealous. She's just using you, Brandon."

Brandon pauses for a second, hurt flashing across his face. He quickly recovers.

Brandon: "Nikki would never do that! I know your game, Mackenzie. Stop playing with my girlfriend AND me!"

She just looks at Brandon and smiles.

Mackenzie: "So naïve. So sad."

Mackenzie's eyes widen for a second. She gasps and puts her hand on her mouth as she points to someone. The rest is not visible, but Brandon's eyes widen and his hand forms a fist.

Mackenzie: "Oh, poor darling. I told you. Now come here, I'll soothe the pain."

She opens her arms up wide, gesturing Brandon to crawl into her hug. Brandon's hand loosens, and he looks steaming.

Brandon slaps her.

She looks at Brandon, her eyes wide, as she reaches up the spot where Brandon hit her. People start noticing more now.

Brandon: "What the hell is wrong with you?!"

She looks at Brandon. Brandon just glares at her, and his fist tightens.

Brandon: "You need help."

Mackenzie: "You'll regret loving her, Brandon Roberts. You will."

Brandon scoffs at her and she glares at him.

Brandon: "Go to hell."

She stares at him with icy blue eyes, cursing him through them. Brandon runs from the conversation out of the screen.

(Winston switches the feed off.)

I just shake my head and start look at my feet. I know what happens after that. Tears fall from my face softly.

Oh, Brandon....