A New Life

Brandon's Point of View

I sit quietly in the family room of Nikki's house, waiting as she talks to her parents. I'm meeting them for the first time. It's been so long that we've dated, but she wanted to wait until she was sure her parents would approve. I'm nervous about meeting them, and I hope everything turns out okay.

Her parents had agreed to have dinner with me included, but they hadn't known I was dating Nikki, until-you know-now.

This month has been full of confessions, lately. I finally sat down with Nikki, and readied myself to talk to her about my family. I was surprised when she beat me to it. She told me about the scholarship her father gave her, and how nervous she was about telling me. I was awed by her honesty, and relieved that I wasn't the only one here who didn't have a mansion.

When I told her about my parents and Fuzzy Friends, she listened and supported me the entire way. She would nod from time to time, and she'd look at me with her beautiful eyes glistening. She cried, surprising me, and she hugged me, saying she was sorry she wasn't there. I just nodded.

My life was harsh, but I could get through it with Nikki now. I sincerely hope her parents approve. I shuffle in my seat when I hear footsteps coming into the family room.

I look up to see what I assumed were her parents in front of me. Nikki is behind them, fidgeting where she stands. Who I assumed was Nikki's mom came up to me and smiled softly. Her smile reminded me distinctly of Nikki, and I grinned. She sits down next it me, and who I assume is Nikki's dad, sits down next to her.

Nikki's Mom: "Hello Brandon. I understand that you've been dating Nikki for while now, haven't you?"

She obviously doesn't beat around the bush.

Brandon: "Yes, Ma'am. It's nice to meet you, Mrs.Maxwell."

Nikki's Mom: "It's nice to meet you formally, Brandon."

She glances at the man sitting next to her and gestures towards me. The man, or rather, Nikki's dad, looks towards me and sighs.

Nikki's Dad: "Hello, it's very nice to meet you."

He says this stiffly, but I accept his greeting and smile in reply.

Brandon: "It's very nice to meet you too, sir."

Nikki's Mom: "Why don't we all go to the dining room? You all head on to the table, while I go get Brianna."

Nikki nods and grabs my hand, pulling me softly towards the dining room, and I smile. We sit down, and I sit down directly right of her. Her dad quietly slips into the seat next to me, and I grin awkwardly. Where to start?

......

I know!

Brandon: "That's a cool bug truck you've got, Mr.Maxwell."

Instantly, almost magically, Mr.Maxwell's eyes light up like a little boy's eyes on Christmas Day. Any tension between Nikki's Dad and I instantly faded. It's startles me for a second, but I quickly recover, and Nikki just smiles, sighs, and shakes her head. I wonder why.

Nikki's Dad: "Thank you, Brandon! You know, not a lot of people can appreciate a truck like mine, and how amazing it is. Did you know everyone looks at my truck when I drive into the parking lots? That's how amazing it is!"

Nikki's dad continues talking about how fascinating the bug business is and I hear Nikki's mom silently walking in with a younger girl, and I assume that's Brianna. She must be the girl I talk to on the phone every once and awhile, before I get to Nikki.

Nikki's mom sits down on the other side of Nikki, a smile evident on her face. She leans near Niki, whispering something I can't hear into Nikki's ear. Nikki blushes a deep red in reply, and I wish I knew what her mom had said.

I shuffle in my seat, smiling, as Nikki's mom gets up to go get the food from the kitchen. I quickly ask if she needs help, and she accepts it gratefully.

I walk into the kitchen after her and she smiles.

Nikki's Mom: "I made meat and potatoes. Do you like the potatoes with or without gravy?"

I grin and reply.

Brandon: "With."

Nikki's Mom: "Excellent. Gravy coming right up. Or down, rather..."

I chuckle at her little remark and set the meat down on the plates as she places the gravy down on the potatoes.

I ask her where the utensils are so I can set them down on the plate. She looks up from what she was doing and grins.

Nikki's Mom: "They're in the far left drawer."

I nod and walk towards the drawer and pull out the utensils. I start placing them on the plates and organizing them. Mrs. Maxwell clears her throat and I look up.

Nikki's Mom: "So....If you don't mind me asking, what do you think of Nikki?"

I am taken aback for second, but quickly recover. I smile at her question, but feel the heat rising in my cheeks at the thought of discussing Nikki. I only pray she can't see through me and notice I'm embarrassed about it. I take a deep breath, look down for at my feet for a bit, and begin.

Brandon: "She's wonderful, kind, artistic, and has the most amazing eyes. She's amazing at what she does, and I can't imagine anyone more fascinating than her. You have a beautiful daughter, Mrs. Maxwell. I've fallen for her hard, and I don't think I'll be falling out of it any time soon."

I look up from my feet, relieved to finally tell her. I'm surprised to see Mrs. Maxwell's eyes glistening, and her hand is over her chest.

Nikki's Mom: "That's so sweet, Brandon. I'm so glad my daughter chose you."

She wipes a tear from her eyes, and I chuckle softly.

Brandon: "I'm glad too, Mrs. Maxwell."

Nikki's Mom: "Well, I'm sure they are all hungry. Let's get them their food, shall we?"

I nod and grab some plates along with her. We come back and place each plate where it is supposed to be.

I sit down and Nikki leans in towards me. She whispers something to me.

Nikki: "What happened in there?"

She leans back in her chair and ,I chuckle. I lean close to her, my lips grazing her ear, causing her to shudder and me to smile.

Brandon: "Stuff."

I lean back and watch her. She rolls her eyes and stabs her meat with her fork.

Nikki: "Stuff."

I smile. I can't help but crack up a bit. She glares at me and I laugh a little harder, causing her to smile.

Holding back my laughs, I begin eating.