Home [3]

Dean, Sam, and Phoenix were talking to the owner of Guenther's Auto Repair.

"So you and John Winchester, you used to own this garage together?" Dean questioned.

"Yeah, we used to, a long time ago." The owner explained "Matter of fact, it must be, uh...twenty years since John disappeared. So why the cops interested all of a sudden?"

"Oh, we're re-opening some of our unsolved cases, and the Winchester disappearance is one of 'em,"

"Oh, well, what do you wanna know about John?"

"Well, whatever you remember, you know, whatever sticks out in your mind,"

"Well...he was a stubborn bastard, I remember that." The owner laughed "And, uh, whatever the game, he hated to lose, you know? It's the whole Marine thing,"

Dean and Sam both nodded, knowing full well how their father was.

"But, oh, he sure loved Mary. And he doted on those kids,"

"But that was before the fire?" Sam asked.

"That's right," The owner nodded.

"He ever talk about that night?"

"No, not at first. I think he was in shock,"

"Right. But eventually? What did he say about it?"

"Oh, he wasn't thinkin' straight. He said somethin' caused that fire and killed Mary,"

"He ever say what did it?" Dean wondered.

"Notin' did it. It was an accident-an electric short in the ceiling or walls or somethin'. I begged him to get some help, but..."

"But what?"

"Oh, he just got worse and worse,"

"How?"

"Oh, he started readin' these strange ol' books. He started goin' to see this palm reader in town,"

"Palm reader? Uh, do you have a name?"

The owner scoffed "No,"

***

Dean watched Phoenix worriedly as the redhead had remained silent, more silent then usual since the brothers took this case.

"All right," Sam declared, causing Phoe out of whatever trance she was in and to look at the youngest Winchester "so there are a few psychics and palm readers in town. There's someone named El Divino. There's, uh..." He laughed as he read the name from the phonebook "there's the Mysterious Mister Fortinsky. Uh, Missouri Moseley..."

"Wait, wait. Missouri Moseley?" Dean asked.

"What?"

"That's a psychic?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, I guess so."

Dean went into the backseat and pulled out John's journal. "In Dad's journal...here, look at this." He opened to the first page "First page, first sentence, read that,"

Phoenix looked at the page "I went to Missouri and I learned the truth,"

Dean shrugged "I always thought he meant the state,"

***

Missouri Moseley was escorting a man out of the house while Dean, Sam, and Phoenix sat on the couch, waiting. "All right, there. Don't you worry 'bout a thing. Your wife is crazy about you." She closed the front door behind the man "Whew. Poor bastard. His woman is cold-bangin' the gardener,"

"Why didn't you tell him?" Phoe wondered.

"People don't come here for the truth. They come for good news. Well? Sam, Dean, and Phoenix, come on already, I ain't got all day," Missouri left the room.

Dean and Sam exchanged a confused look and followed Phoenix into the next room.

"Well, lemme look at ya." Missouri laughed "Oh, you boys grew up handsome." She pointed a finger at Dean "And you were one goofy-lookin' kid, too."

Dean glared at Phoe as she snorted at the statement.

"Sam." Missouri grabbed his hand "Oh, honey...I'm sorry about your girlfriend. And your father-he's missin'?"

"How'd you know all that?" Sam asked in amazement.

"Well, you were just thinkin' it just now,"

"Well, where is he? Is he okay?" Dean questioned.

"I don't know," Missouri admitted.

"Don't know? Well, you're supposed to be a psychic, right?"

Phoenix hit Dean.

"I may be able to read thoughts and sense energies in a room, but I can't just pull facts out of thin air," Missouri argued. "Boy, you put your foot on my coffee table, I'm a whack you with a spoon!"

"I didn't do anything," Dean argued.

"But you were thinkin' about it,"

Phoe smiled at Dean "I like her,"

"Okay. So, our dad-when did you first meet him?" Sam asked.

"He came for a reading. A few days after the fire. I just told him what was really out there in the dark. I guess you could say...I drew back the curtains for him,"

"What about the ifre? Do you know about what killed our mom?"

Phoenix fidgeted in her seat causing Missouri to glance over at her.

"A little." Missouri said "Your daddy took me to your house. He was hopin' I could sense the echoes, the fingerprints of this thing,"

"And could you?" Sam wondered.

"I..." Missouri shook her head.

"What was it?"

"I don't know. Oh, but it was evil. So...you think somethin' is back in that house?"

"Definitely,"

"I don't understand,"

"What?"

"I haven't been back inside, but I've been keepin' an eye on the place, and it's been quiet. No sudden deaths, no freak accidents. Why is it actin' up now?"

"I don't know. But Dad going missing and Jessica dying and now this house all happening at once-it just feels like something's starting,"