Scarecrow [2]

Sam and Phoenix were standing on the side of the road.

Phoenix turned and saw a young girl with short blonde hair, Meg, sitting with her back to her.

Meg was listening to music.

"Hey," phoenix greeted, but Meg couldn't hear her. Phoenix walked over to Meg and put her hand on her shoulder.

Meg jumped and took off her headphones "You scared the hell outta me,"

"I'm sorry." Phoenix apologized "I just thought you might need some help,"

"No, I'm good, thanks,"

A van honked its horn and pulled over.

"Need a ride?" The driver asked.

"Yeah," The group replied.

"Just the girls," The driver told Sam "I ain't takin' you,"

"Thanks but no thanks," Phoenix grimaced "but we're a package deal. Where he goes, I go,"

Sam watched as Meg gathered her things and got in the van "You trust shady van guy and not us?"

"Definitely," Meg said.

***

Phoenix waited to the side of a bus station as Sam talked with the clerk.

"Sorry," The clerk apologized "the Sacramento bus doesn't run again till tomorrow." she checked the schedule "Uh, 5:05 PM,"

"Tomorrow? There's got to be another way," Sam argued.

"Well, there is. Buy a car,"

Sam left the ticket window in annoyance. He took out his PalmPilot and selected Dean's phone number.

"So?" Phoenix asked.

"Next bus isn't until tomorrow," Sam sighed.

"Your dad can wait more day, Sam," Phoenix reasoned. "Come on let's go get a drink,"

Sam nodded and began to walk over to where a food place was for those waiting for their next bus.

Phoenix looked down at her phone as it rang, she smirked seeing the name on the display "Miss us that much, already Winchester?"

"Is Sam there?" Dean asked.

"No, he went to get a drink, our bus won't be here till tomorrow." Phoenix leaned against the wall "What's up?"

***

Phoenix quirked an eyebrow after Dean explained the past events "The scarecrow climbed off its cross?"

"Yeah, I'm tellin' ya. Burkittsville, Indiana. Fun Town," Dean said.

"So, something must be animating it. A spirit,"

"No, it's more than a spirit. It's a god. A Pagan god, anyway,"

"What makes you say that?"

"The annual cycle of its killings? And the fact that the victims are always a man and a woman. Like some kind of fertility right. And you should see the locals. The way they treated this couple. Fattenin' 'em up like a Christmas turkey,"

"The last meal. Given to sacrificial victims,"

"Yeah, I'm thinking a ritual sacrifice appease some Pagan god,"

"So, a god possesses the scarecrow..."

"And the scarecrow takes its sacrifice. And for another year, the crops won't wilt, and disease won't spread,"

"Do you know which god you're dealing with?"

"No, not yet,"

Phoenix sighed in conflict "Well, you figure out what it is, you can figure out a way to kill it,"

"I know." Dean sighed "I'm actually on my way to a local community college. I've got an appointment with a professor. You know, since I don't have my trusty sidekick geeks to do all the research,"

Phoenix smirked "If I didn't know any better, I'd be thinking you're asking for my help,"

"I'm not hinting anything," Dean argued "Actually, uh-I was hoping to let Sam know...I mean..."

"I know what you mean. I'm sure Sam's sorry too,"

"He was right, though. He's gotta do his own thing. Live his own life,"

"I don't have this thing on speaker, Dean,"

"I'm being serious, Phoe. Sam's always known what he wants. And he goes after it. Sam stands up to Dad. And he always had. Hell, I wish, I..." Dean cleared his throat "I admire that about him. I'm proud of him,"

"You really should tell him that, not me,"

"Call me when you find my Dad,"

Phoenix nodded "OK. Bye, Dean," She hung up as Sam rejoined with a beer in hand

"Who was that?" Sam asked as he handed Phoenix the beer.

"Your brother," Phoenix admitted.

"What'd he say?"

Phoenix glanced down at the beer bottle forlornly "Goodbye,"