Pilot [2]

Sam was packing a duffel bag. He pulled out a large hook-shaped knife and quickly slid it inside when he heard someone enter the room.

"Lucky it was me and not Jess," Phoenix said as she sat on the bed. "You're really taking off?" 

Sam looked up at her.

"Is this about your dad? Is he all right?" Jess asked as she came into the room.

"Yeah. You know, just a little family drama." Sam went over to the dresser and turned on the lamp atop it.

"Your brother said he was on some kind of hunting trip," Phoe noted as Sam rummaged in one of the drawers and came out with a couple of shirts, which went in the duffel.

"Oh, yeah, he's just deer hunting up at the cabin, he's probably got Jim, Jack, and Jose along with him. I'm just going to bring him back,"

"What about the interview?" Jess asked

"I'll make the interview. This is only for a couple of days," Sam went around the bed.

Jess got up and followed. "Sam, I mean, please." She pleaded.

Sam stopped and turned

"Just stop for a second. You sure you're okay?" Jess asked

Sam laughed a little "I'm fine,"

"It's just...you won't even talk about your family. And now you're taking off in the middle of the night to spend a weekend with them? And with Monday coming up, which is kind of a huge deal,"

"Hey. Everything's going to be okay. I will be back in time, I promise," Sam kissed Jess on the cheek.

"And I'll ensure he keeps that promise," Phoenix said as she walked back into the room with a duffel bag in hand "because I'm going with,"

***

Dean looked up when Sam walked out of the apartment and smiled but frowned when he saw Phoe walk behind him carrying a similar sized duffel bag. "I recall it being a family trip,"

"You mean a family hunt," Phoenix said as she walked up to the Impala "Oh and don't think about pulling the bullshit about us going after Bambi..." she crossed her arms as she looked at the eldest Winchester "So which is it? Ghost, werewolf...chupacabra?"

Dean looked at Sam confused who only held a similar smile as Phoenix. "She knows?"

Phoe tossed Dean her duffel bag as she got in the back seat "She knows,"

Dean looked at Sam, who only chuckled as he got into the front passenger side.

***

~ November 1, 2005, ~

The Impala was parked in front of a pump. Dean came out of the convenience mart carrying junk food.

Sam was sitting in the shotgun seat with the door open, rifling through a box of tapes.

"Hey!" Dean called out as he tapped on the back window causing Phoenix to stir from where she was sleeping.

"Dude," Sam complained.

Dean looked at the redhead "You want breakfast?"

Phoe looked at the assorted junk food Dean held in his hands and grimaced "No, thanks,"

"So how'd you pay for that stuff?" Sam asked, "You and Dad still running credit card scams?"

"Yeah, well, hunting ain't exactly a pro ball career." Dean put the nozzle back on the pump. "Besides, all we do is apply. It's not our fault they send us the cards,"