Asylum [2]

Sam, dean, and Phoenix jumped over the tall chain-linked fence at the asylum and entered.

"So apparently the cops chased the kids here...into the south wing," Phoe recalled as she nodded towards a sign over one of the doors.

"South wing, huh? Wait a second." Sam flipped through John's journal "1972. Three kids broke into the south wing, only one survived. The way he tells it, one of his friends went nuts and started lighting up the place,"

"So whatever's going on, the south wing is in the heart of it," Dean reasoned. "But if the kids are spelunking the asylum, why aren't there a ton more deaths?"

Sam looked around. He noted the broken chain "Looks like the doors are usually chained. Could've been chained for years,"

"Yeah, to keep people out. Or to keep something in," Phoenix looked at the boys, then slowly pushed the door open.

"Let me know if you see any dead people, Haley Joel," Dean teased.

Phoe rolled her eyes.

"I'm serious. You gotta be careful, all right? Ghosts are attracted to that whole ESP thing you got going on,"

"That's not the only reason," Phoenix thought to herself.

"You get any reading on that thing or not?" Sam interrupted.

"Nope. Of course, it doesn't mean no one's home," Dean replied.

"Spirit's can't appear during certain hours of the day," Phoe pointed out.

"Yeah, the freaks come out at night,"

"Makes you wonder who you actually bring home at night, huh Dean?" Phoenix teased.

It was Dean's turn to roll his eyes.

"So. Whaddaya think?" Sam interrupted "Ghosts possessing people?"

"Maybe." Phoe shrugged "Or maybe it's more like Amityville, or the Smurl hunting,"

"Sprits driving them insane. Kinda like my man Jack in Shining," Dean grinned.

"Dean." Sam started causing the eldest Winchester to look over at him "When are we going to talk about it?"

"Talk about what?"

"About the fact, Dad's not here,"

"Oh. I see. How 'bout...never,"

"I'm being serious, man. He sent us here..."

"So am I, Sam. Look, he sent us here, he obviously wants us here. We'll pick up the search later,"

"It doesn't matter what he wants,"

"See. That attitude? Right there? That is why I always get the extra cookie,"

"Dad could be in trouble, we should be looking for him. We deserve some answers, Dean. I mean, this is our family we're talking about,"

"I understand that Sam, but he's given us an order,"

"So what, we gotta always Dad's orders?"

"Of course we do,"

Phoenix picked up a sign to get away from the boys' arguments "Sanford Ellicott...You know what we gotta do. We gotta find out more about the south wing. See if something happened here," She tossed the sign at the boys and walked away.

***

Sam sat on a couch inside a waiting room, flicking through a magazine.

The sign on the door read Dr. James Ellicott, Clinical Psychiatry.

"Sam Winchester?" Dr. Ellicott called out.

"That's me," Sam said.

"Come on in," Dr. Ellicott moved Sam into another room.

"Thanks again for seeing me last minute." Sam said as he looked around the room "Dr...Ellicott. Ellicott, that name. Wasn't there a...a Dr. Sanford Ellicott?" Sam nodded as if he remembered "Yeah, he was a chief psychiatrist somewhere,"

"My father was chief of staff at the old Roosevelt Asylum. How did you know?"

"Ah. Well, I'm sorta...a local history buff. Hey, wasn't there, an incident or something? In the hospital, I guess. In the south wing, right?"

"We're on your dollar, Sam. We're here to talk about you,"

"Oh, okay. Yeah, yeah. Sure," Sam brushed off.

"So. How are things?"

"Ah, things are good, doctor,"

"Good. Whatcha been doing?"

"Ahh, same old. I have just been on a...on a road trip with my brother and college roommate,"

"Was that fun?"

"Loads. Umm. You know, we...ahh...we...met...a lot of...interesting people. Did a lot of...ah...interesting things...ahhh. You know? What was it exactly that happened in the south wing? I forget..."

"Look, if you're a local history buff, you know all about the Roosevelt riot,"

"The riot. Well, no. I'm just curious,"

"Sam. Let's cut the bull, shall we? You're avoiding the subject,"

"What subject?" Sam asked confused.

"You." Dr. Ellicott replied "Now I'll make you a deal. I'll tell you all about the Roosevelt riot if you tell me something honest about yourself. Like, uh, this brother and roommate you're road tripping with. How do you feel about them?"