Chapter 1 || Missy Moreno

MISSY MORENO

I was sleeping on that one morning.

Wake up, Sleepyhead! Wake up, Sleepyhead! My alarm blared music.

I quickly shut it off and took a deep breath. It's funny how when you look back on a day like this, it all seems so... normal. Like, I'm actually trying to put thought into the clothes I wanna wear today.

"This one says... talk to me," I chose between two shirts, "And this one says... leave me alone."

I chose the black shirt with the skull. Yep. I'm gonna be alone like I always am and I like it. I heard a beep coming from my bracelet and my dad's voice came through.

"Time for breakfast, Missy!"

"Morning Dad! Be right there," I said to it and began to change.

As I came out of my room, I saw my dad cracking eggs... into the sink while watching the news. I came up and he quickly shut it off.

"Morning, kiddo? Sleep okay?"

I stared at his cracked egg shells and the egg residue in the metal sink.

"Did you?"

___

We sat down at the kitchen table while my dad held out a box of cereal.

"I see you're wearing 'leave me alone'," he said, eyeing my outfit.

He poured some cereal in my bowl.

"You know, I want you to try and make some friends," he sighed.

"Yeah, not today," I scoffed.

More like, never, I thought to myself.

And I saw the news.

"Is that Miracle Guy?" I spotted them wheeling him into an ambulance.

"That's probably just a training exercise... you know... a 'what if'," Dad said quickly.

"As long as there's no 'what if' that means you'll be rejoining the team. Because a deal is a deal," I said, staring at him.

"Relax. Even if I'm the leader of the heroics, I'll be doing it from the safety of my office."

___

We arrived at school and I looked around.

Ew.

It was the same big tree. The same kids hollering and running around. The same people who I hated. The same children's temporary prison I was used to.

"See you later, Dad!" I called and took a look at his face, "Hey... is something wrong?"

"I love you."

Okay, this is weird.

"'I love you' at 8 AM on a random Tuesday? Yeah, you definitely didn't sleep well last night," I shook my head, "Love you, too."

I blew him a kiss and ran off.

At the Heroics' Headquarters...

Marcus Moreno pulled up in his car, swiping his access card and boarding the shuttle that would take him inside. He reached his office, taking a seat next to everyone else. He scanned through and watched as his boss, Miss Granada, looked through which heroes to send.

"How about... Blinding Fast and Crushing Low?" she asked everyone.

"Eh... they haven't been getting along well since the Crisis of Edinburgh," an employee shook his head.

"How about... Lavagirl and Sharkboy? They're still married, right?" she waited for everyone's approval.

"It's not a two hero job," Marcus shook his head, "Look."

"That's not a lot... but fine, we'll send three. Happy?"

"No. You see... that's just the tip of the spear. The scouts. We're really up against... this."

He pressed a button and the whole army was revealed. Miss Granada's face fell as she stared at the army of fleeting forces.

"Who should we send?" a worker asked.

"All heroes," she said, "but you have to call the president so he approves."

"It's... well... he'll still be sleeping. It's before noon."

"WAKE HIM UP!" Miss Granada groaned impatiently, "Marcus? What are you still doing here? I said all heroes."

"I can't. I promised my daughter I wouldn't fight anymore."

"Okay, well I'm sorry," Miss Granada scoffed, "They'll need all the help they can get and you know it. You have to rejoin the team. It's time to be a hero again, Marcus. And that's an order."

"Yes, ma'am," Marcus sighed, complying and grabbing his swords, walking out of the room.

At School...

I tried to grab the ball from the tree while sitting on Ashley Reinhart's shoulders.

"Just grab it!" Ben yelled from below.

"I'm trying!" I said, trying to grab the red ball.

"Hurry! I'm getting tired!" Ashley groaned from below me.

"Can't you just... fly up there or something?" Bethany rolled her eyes.

"I can't fly!" I sighed.

"Use your magnet hands!" Ben exclaimed.

"I don't have magnet hands!"

"Hurricane Breath!"

"Hurricane Breath? That's not even a thing!" I rolled my eyes.

Ashley finally let me down.

"Did she get it?" another kid came up.

"She tried... but she has no powers," Ashley stared at me as if to say 'lame'.

And the ball fell.

"Not me. That was gravity," I said, stepping away from the ball.

They ignored me again and ran off with it.

"You're... welcome," I sighed.

"Missy Moreno? You'll need to come with us," a woman said, showing me her Heroics badge.

And we were in the car.

"Where are we going again?"

She didn't answer.

"...a full scale mobilization--" the radio was saying.

"What mobilization?" I sat upright, "Could you please turn that up? Wait!" I yelled as they began to roll up the divider, "I just heard aliens?"

I heard beeping and knew my dad was contacting me.

"Dad? Dad!"

"Missy. Are they taking you to headquarters?"

"I think so..."

"Good."

He cut off the connection.

"Dad? Dad? Okay... I'm not worried... not worried..."

___

I met this woman named Miss Granada and she took me down.

"You'll be staying in our vault. It's where we keep the children of superheroes while they go out fighting. We can't afford to have even one of you in enemy hands."

"But... my dad doesn't fight anymore. After my mom died, he promised me--"

"Well, you know what they say about promises."

"That you should keep them or you'll be a lazy fat liar who can never be trusted?"

"Are you going to be a problem, Missy?" she asked me, annoyed.

I shook my head.

"Shall we?" she pointed to the metal door.