Chapter 21: Cracking The Unsub

Rossi's POV:
"So you've never seen this girl?" I ask, "No, never" he replies, "Pretty blonde girl, c'mon, surely you've seen her" Morgan says, "Nope, never seen her" he says and leans back in his chair, distancing himself from us. We turn and leave the room, "He's definitely hiding something" I say to Aaron, Yeah, but what?" He says. JJ combs back her hair with her fingers and then parts it, making it look messy but good. "I'm going in there" she announces and enters the interrogation room. We watch through the window as she sits down, "Who are you?" he demands, "My name is Jennifer, I'm here to ask you a few questions" "Ask away" he says. "Okay, Dean, what were you doing last Friday?" JJ asks, "I was at home" "All day?" "Yes, all day" "Really? Because it says here that you hired a surf board from the surf club right near where Melissa went missing" "Well maybe I went for a surf in the morning" "It was 1:30pm" she says, Dean looks at her and says nothing. JJ leans across the table and whispers something to him, "I didn't kill her!" he yells, getting up out of his chair, "Sit down!" JJ orders, he slowly sits back down, "You know what? You're right, you didn't kill her, you just kidnapped her, probably abused her, then dumped her somewhere so we couldn't find her" she says, "So tell me, Dean, what made you go after a pretty blonde like that anyway? What could've made you so angry that you went after nice young girl who wouldn't hurt a fly?" "Are you kidding me?! That girl was a bitch!" he blurts out, "I thought you didn't know her" JJ says and leaves the room. "Nicely done" I say when JJ walks in, "Thanks" she says and looks at him through the window, "So what now?" Morgan asks, "I don't know" I admit. "Excuse me?!" Dean calls, "Hello?!" he yells again, I walk into the interrogation room, "What?" I ask, "I need a smoke" he demands, "No, you're not allowed to smoke in here" "Well then take me outside" "I don't think so" I say and leave the room, "What do you guys think?" I ask, "If we let him have a smoke he'll relax a little, he might let something slide" Morgan says, "Yeah okay" I say and walk back in. I un cuff him from the table and re cuff his hands in front of him so he can reach his cigarette. JJ and I take him outside and hand him a lit cigarette. "So Dean, how long have you been a smoker?" JJ asks, "Since I was 15" he replies, "Oh, you know that stuff will kill you, right?" I say, he just shrugs it off.
When Dean finishes his cigarette we lead him back inside. As we walk through the front doors a little boy runs past him, making him jump, we continue to walk but he seems uncomfortable the rest of the way. "I think he has something against children" I tell Hotch once we've put him back in the interrogation room, "Yeah, I wonder why. I have an idea, Em?" he says, "Yeah?" she asks, turning around to face us, "I want you to go in there" "What? No, I can't do that" she says with a worried look in her eye, "Yes you can" "Why do you want me in there anyway?" she asks, "Because he feels uncomfortable around children. If you go in there, he'll be to focused on the fact that you're pregnant that he might not pay enough attention to lying and he might let something slip" Hotch explains, "You can do this" he reassures her and kisses her on the forehead, she reluctantly agrees.

Morgan's POV:
I watch through the window as Prentiss and Hotch enter the interrogation room. Hotch holds Prentiss' hand and leads her in with a hand on her back. As she sits down she rubs her stomach, Hotch kisses her on the forehead and leaves the room to come watch with us. The discomfort is evident on Dean's face, "Hey Dean, my name is Emily Prentiss" Emily says, "You know you're not gonna be able to be a cop for much longer with that" he says, referring to her belly, "I'm not a cop" she says, "I'm with the FBI" Dean leans back in his chair and suddenly looks more uncomfortable than before. "So tell me, what did you do with her?" Prentiss asks, "I didn't do anything!" he yells, his anger rising. "Did you bash her head in?" "No!' "Did you just take her?" "No, I said I didn't do anything to her!" Em flinches and puts her hands on her belly, making Dean look away, "Did you knock her out and drag her off?" "No" "Well you must've killed her somehow" Prentiss says, "Just because I took her, doesn't mean I killed her!" he shouts, pounding his fist on the table, Em leans back in her chair with a satisfied look on her face, "So where'd you take her then?" she asks, Dean just sits down in his seat and doesn't say a word. Emily leaves the room. "Good job honey" Hotch says, giving her a kiss, she gives him a small smile and leaves to go to the bathroom.

"Where is she?!" I yell at him, "I might not feel like telling you" he smirks, "But if the rats haven't gotten to her yet I'll be surprised" "Fine then, you're not gonna tell me? Then just answer me this: what is it about little kids that makes you so uncomfortable?" He shifts in his chair, "I'm not uncomfortable around little kids!" he says defensively, "Right" I say sarcastically, "So Dean, where do you like to hang out on weekends?" I ask casually, "Um I don't know, at home" "You don't like to hang out at the beach with friends or anything?" "Yeah I go to the beach sometimes" he admits, "But not with friends" "Okay, so what do you do at the beach?" "Surf occasionally" "You any good?" I ask, "Sure" he replies with a shrug, "What else do you do down there? I hear there's a beach shack down there" "Nah, no one goes down there, it's been deserted for years" I nod, but try to push him on the beach shack idea. "So why doesn't anyone go there?" I ask, "They found a body down there about 6 years ago, so they locked it up so no one can get in" "But if you really wanted, you could find a way in?" "Yeah, with bolt cutters maybe" he says casually. I leave the room.

Reid's POV:
"We need to get his ego up" Morgan says, "Yeah, if we can do that, we will be too worried about being "cooler" than us to pay attention to the question" Rossi says, "Reid, I want you to go in there" Hotch tells me, "Okay, what do you want me to do?" "Just say things to make him think he's better than you" Hotch says, "That shouldn't be to hard" I mutter as I enter the interrogation room. "Hi Dean, I'm Dr. Spencer Reid with the FBI" I say as I sit down across from him, "Hi" I says casually, slouching in his chair, "So tell me Dean, how do you know Melissa?" I ask, "Met her on the beach a couple of times" he says, "Did you like her?" "Yeah, I guess" "Yeah, I bet she liked you a lot. What did she do to make you hate her so much?" "She cheated" he says and I can hear the anger rising in his voice. "Alright, Dean, what does you're father do?" "What? My father?" "Yeah" "Um, he's a mechanic" "Oh, so I bet he has a bunch of tools you'd have access to" "Yeah, I guess" he says, "Do you get along with you're father?" "No, not really" he says, "Do you ever take stuff from his shed?" I ask, "Yeah, all the time" he says, amused, "Did you ever take bolt cutters?" "Yeah, the dumb bastard never realises" he laughs, "When was the last time you took bolt cutters?" "Last Friday" he shrugs, "Right before you took Melissa to the shack?" I ask, "Ye--wait no" he corrects himself, "Thanks Dean" I say and leave the room, "She's in the beach shack" I tell the team, "Okay, let's go!" Hotch says and we leave the station.