23. Let's End This

Alec ran up the stairs, two at time. He thanked the Angel for the creation of the speed rune. Suddenly, he collided with someone of a shorter height. The girl carried her personal copy of The Shadowhunter's Codex in one hand, and a steaming cup of coffee in the other. Clary. He gripped the note in his hand. "Where is everyone?"

She stuttered. "Ugh, I don't know. Jace and Izzy are in the kitchen, I think. Saphira, Ren and Evie are somewhere? Wait, are you okay?"

"No. I'm not." Alec took her book and shoved the crumpled piece of paper into her hand. Slim fingers ran lightly over the creases as her eyes skimmed over the words.

Give me your best,
or nothing at all,
Let us end this now.
I'll be waiting for you,
at the City of Demons.

My love, you know the way.

"'The City of Demons', have you ever heard of it before?" Clary chewed on her bottom lip.

"No. But Evie has." he took the paper back into his hands and leaned in. "Find everyone. Don't tell them anything until they're all in the library. I'll meet you there."

She nodded and left Alec alone in the hallway, following his exact orders.

•••

"I have no idea where this place is." Evie shook her head as she stared at the note. "City of Demons? Maybe it's the place where he held me captive? I really don't know."

"Magnus." Alec gasped. "Magnus would know. He's the one who saved you. He had to find your location in order to get you back."

"But if that's the case, then how are we going to get there?" asked Isabelle. Her grip on Simon's hand tightened.

"I don't think Magnus would be able to teleport all of us to that location." said Saphira.

"It would be too time-consuming." Ren sighed.

"Are you guys forgetting that I can create Portals?" Clary rolled her eyes facetiously while she sipped on her coffee. "Okay, someone call Magnus. We need to find the location first."

"Wait." Evie's eyes were locked on her amethyst bracelet. The one Sebastian gave her. Immediately she took it off and studied it. Behind the stone were several lines engraved into it. In the side were two words. "Urbem daemoniorum?"

"Demon city." Jace smiled. "What a coincidence."

"Call Magnus and anyone else you can think of," Evie nodded her head, passing her bracelet to Clary. "We need a plan."

"We already have one," Jace and Clary glanced at each other, then turned their full attention on Evie. "But it includes you."

"And if you don't mind, you're going to have to get quite close with Sebastian." Clary bit her lip as Evie froze.

"I..." she gulped. "I'll do anything. Anything to stop him."

•••

Without a word, Isabelle wrapped her whip around her wrist. Behind her sitting figure was Alec, who was occupied with his bow and arrows. Jace sheathed his blade, looking up every few moments to check on Clary. She had everything packed and was standing in the centre of the room, ready to teleport everyone to the battle of their lives.

Magnus walked into the room with his head held high. Evie noticed the tall warlock from the corner of her eye and immediately ran towards him. "You came."

"I have a long history with fighting alongside Shadowhunters." He smiled. "I don't see any reason as to why I should miss this one."

"Thank you for joining us Magnus." said Alec, crossing his arms. Magnus held his breath as he nodded at him. He had to restrain himself from hugging him and apologising right then and there. Their eyes locked. I'm sorry.