Epilogue

SEVERAL YEARS LATER

"I have to ask you something." Jonathan took her hands in his.

"Go ahead." Evelyn squeezed his fingers.

"Do you love me?" His green gaze locked hers, soft and passionate.

"I love you," Evelyn couldn't contain her grin as her eyes fell on their entwined hands. "I really do love you."

He blew out a breath. "Will you do something for me?"

"For you? Anything." Evelyn spoke without a hint of hesitation. Suddenly, he pulled his hands back and stood from his seat. Above them were the glowing chandelier and fairy lights. They dimmed, causing a myriad of gasps. Evelyn spun, curious of the reactions of everyone around. But nothing could prepare her from what was going to happen.

Jonathan knelt down on one knee and asked, with so much love, she felt embraced and comforted purely by the sound of his voice, "Will you, Evelyn Wells, make me the happiest man alive, by allowing me to take the role of your ever-faithful husband."

"Yes." joyful tears flowed freely. "Yes, yes, yes!"

He took one of her hands, as the other dived into his pocket. As it resurfaced, it was accompanied with a glimmering ring. The diamond sparkled, big and bold. He slipped it onto her finger and kissed her fingers, her hands, her lips.

Forever, the kiss promised them.

•••

The door opened. Evelyn stepped through, urgent to rid herself of her white trench coat. She dropped both her bag and her outerwear, and despite that she had been working for several hours, she was filled with energy the second she laid eyes on her husband. He stood by the kitchen table, whisking what looked like salad dressing. She tip-toed towards him, careful not to make any noise. When Evelyn finally reached her destination, her arms wrapped themselves around his waist and snuggled her nose into his back. She pushed on the balls of her feet, her lips reaching his ear. "Boo."

"Haha, very funny." He placed the whisk and bowl back on the table and turned to face his wife. Jonathan tucked a stray hair behind her ear. "You look tired, you should rest."

She shook her head gently. "I'm fine."

"No, really. Go to bed, I'll pick Amara up from school." His hands rubbed her arms. "Go on."

"I'm fine, I am." She felt a warm sensation fill her chest. He really cared for her. "So what are we having for lunch? I'm feeling a bit peckish."

"Well..." He smiled, "I looked outside and I couldn't help but notice how nice the weather is."

"That's true." She raised an eyebrow. "Where are you going with this?"

He chuckled. "Let's have a picnic."

Both her brows went up this time. "A picnic?"

"Yeah, a picnic. Some family bonding time." He placed a soft kiss on her forehead. "Straight after I pick Amara up from school, we'll go to Central Park and well, relax. What do you think?"

"I think..." she leaned in towards him, "A picnic sounds perfect."

"Great." he said.

"But wait." she placed her hand on his arm.

"Yep?"

"You still haven't told me what we're actually having."

"Chicken Caesar salad, with croutons and parmesan cheese."

"Sounds delicious." She stepped towards the counter. Jonathan resumed his task of completing the dressing whilst Evelyn took on the job of grating the cheese.