13: Separated

Leedo ran as fast as his legs would go, pushing way further than his limits would usually allow. He didn't even have time to think of a plan before he was being chased by two of the men. He pushed himself to run through alleyways, hoping to outrun the men by doing so.

They were yelling at him, telling him to stop, saying empty threats at this point. They were attracting attention to themselves. No sooner did the undead get involved. Zombies emerged from the darkest shadows, screaming their bloody screams at their targets.

The oncoming threats scared off the men, but now Leedo was running with a few zombies chasing him. He could pull out his gun, but he knew that would only cause more noise and therefore bring more attention to himself. He stuck to running in the direction he hoped would lead him back home.

It was a few hours past midday, and the sun for once shone through the clouds. Leedo quickly figured out that the creatures hated the direct sunlight, and from there on ran in the main streets. He slowed himself to a fast walk, checking over his shoulder every few paces as he tried to catch his breath.

Then he started cursing at himself.

"I swear to god Kim Youngjo you better not have just killed yourself." Leedo hit his fists against his sides, tears brimming his eyes as he looked up to the sky for a brief moment.

Everything started processing after about ten minutes. He cursed to himself again.

"And Hwanwoong, you idiot. Why didn't you follow me?" Leedo continued to say his angry thoughts aloud. "How am I going to explain this to them?"

A few more paces and he stopped walking, closing his eyes for just a moment and composing himself.

"It's not our fault....who the hell keeps a gang up and running during an apocalypse?" Leedo posed the question, balling his hand back into fists as he kept walking. "They have some nerve, thats for sure. And of course he had to be affiliated with them from before."

By the time the sun set Leedo managed to find himself back at the base. His anger long left his system, along with his adrenaline. Now he was left feeling empty, tired, and lifeless. He didn't have the heart to tell the others what happened. He couldn't fathom not being able to see two of his closest friends ever again. He quickly lost hope.

Leedo managed to lift the garage door on his own, and drag his feet inside. He dragged the cement block inside, fully sealing himself in the darkness of the garage. The anger returned for a moment, he pulled at his hair as warm tears ran down his cheeks. He almost hit his fist against the garage door but quickly stopped himself, knowing it would cause panic from the others upstairs.

The blonde dragged himself up the flights of stairs and reassembled their barricades properly. He held his hand above the handle of the door to their room, the feeling of immense guilt engulfing him. I shouldn't of run, I should've stayed, they needed my help....but then they wouldn't have my help here, they would've never known what happened to us.

The door opened before Leedo's hand even grabbed the handle. Seoho stood in the doorway, eyes turning wide and scanning the area around the younger. Leedo walked past the older and dropped the duffel bags by the door, catching the attention of the other boys.

"Where is—" Seoho didn't finish his question, stopping himself when Leedo dropped his head forwards and let out a sob.

Seoho closed the door and pushed their barricade back, rushing to then help Leedo sit down on the couch. Xion and Keonhee were playing a card game on the mattress, but that was completely disregarded. Xion rushing to get a water bottle and Keonhee going to get a shirt they used as a wash cloth.