Hit List

"Hello?"

"So I just wanted to call and tell you that I'm about to be on my way back to the airport so I can go home," you replied to Rhodey.

"No the hell you are not," he replied.

"I'm not some princess to lock away in a tower to keep me safe. I don't need protecting."

"Yes, you do actually."

"Why?!" You demanded.

"Do you really want to know why, Y/N?"

"I wouldn't have asked if I didn't," you retorted.

"They have a suspect in custody. He confessed to Alyssa's murder and when they searched his apartment, they found a hit list. Do you want to take a guess as to whose name was next on that list?"

"I'm going to guess you're going to say my name, right?" You asked, your heart beginning to race.

"You arrested him and Alyssa was the prosecuting attorney," Rhodey replied, his tone solemn.

"So if he's in custody, why do I need to stay here then?"

"Because he admitted to having accomplices but won't give up any names."

"And you don't think I'm able to go back to DC to, you know, go to work or anything like that?" You questioned.

"It isn't a great idea, Y/N. You know that."

You sighed. You knew that he was right but you didn't want to admit it. You didn't want help and you hated having to rely on anybody.

Out of frustration you left your room and attempted to find your way outside to finish your conversation with some fresh air.

"So why can't I come home and stay at your place then?"

"Because you shouldn't be here at all, Y/N. Please. I'm trying to keep you safe," Rhodey pled. "Can you just please do this for me?"

You had never heard Rhodey sound as desperate as he was in that moment so you knew that this has to be serious.

"Maybe I'm just overthinking things," you said with a sigh.

On your way outside, you saw Steve and somebody you hadn't met yet coming back from what you assumed to have been training.

"I'll do this for you," you replied. "But I'm not a damsel in distress. I'm just someone who wants to obey your wishes."

"You're really not going to fight me on this anymore?" Rhodey asked, clearly shocked.

"On one condition," you replied.

"Which is?"

You found a bench on the backside of the building and took a seat, fighting tears.

"You'll go somewhere safe too," you replied. "Please?"

"You don't need to worry about me," Rhodey replied.

"You're all I have left. I can't lose you too," you replied, you voice cracking into a whisper.

"You won't. I promise."

"I'm going to hold you to that," you replied.

"I'm about to get on a plane," Rhodey replied. "I'll text you when I land."

"Please do."

You hung up the phone and you felt your heart break as you saw your screensaver. It was you and Alyssa on your last vacation to California making faces as you took a selfie.