Eleven

Fifteen years had passed since the end of the war and Ahmund had returned to the monastery for a second time. By his side is a young man with olive skin scattered with freckles. His eyes danced when he smiled and it was easy to see how Ahmund had fallen in love with him. They kept their distance when greeting the scholars and students but in private, Ahmund's hand would find itself wrapped around his waist, holding him close as they walked side by side.

The stranger greeted her first when Ahmund was discussing trade with Archivist scholars. Nayoko would learn that his name is Song and that he was of the Far East like she. Unliker her, he was born and raised there, only traveling to Dawn as a diplomat years into his adulthood. 

There was an emptiness in Nayoko's heart as she listened to his stories about the East, a yearning for a place she could know and call home. It was promptly replaced by elation when Ahmund wrapped her up in a tight hug, one that left her sore in the ribs and breathless as she laughed. Their engagement was no surprise to her, having read about it in a letter, though Ahmund had left the question of to whom a mystery. When Nayoko joked again about tolerating Ahmund, Song only regarded him with marvel.

His disappointment comes when he hears of Lena's departure, but he sympathizes with her wanderlust. Ahmund's laugh is still thunderous and his eyes still twinkle with mischief, but the years since their last encounter had taken a toll on him. Grey streaks ran through the braids that hung to his waist and neat beard. Ruling Dawn weighed heavily on his shoulders, as evidenced by the lines in his forehead.

Nayoko would notice him sneak coughs into a handkerchief that returned from his mouth red. He brushed her concern off with quick witted remarks and dodged her questions about his health, returning to his fiance's side after she cornered him and pretending nothing had happened. She shared a knowing look with Song.

That night, Nayoko finds Ahmund on the roof again, gazing at stars. She sits down beside him in silence, enjoying the comfort of each other's presence. When she looks back at Ahmund, she notices he has fallen asleep. She brings him a blanket and notifies his servants and Song, who smiles wearily at her and offers both apologies and thanks.

She returns to her room and cries over what could've been.