Nine

Four years since the end of the war, and Nayoko saw Tanya cry for the first time. They had just bid Lena goodbye at the docks. She wanted to explore the world alone, undisturbed or burdened by Archival duties and titles.

Tanya was sad to see her older sister go, but was unable to talk the familial stubbornness out of her, so in the end, she relented, still wearing a mask of dispassionate nonchalance as she gave her well wishes. Nayoko had to squint to see the single tear roll down her cheek. It left as quickly as it came.

That night, Nayoko joined Tanya in her study, void of its usual clutter. The two had managed to finish compiling data from the continent's census, and Nayoko has finally persuaded Tanya to join her for a few days of rest.

She arrived, per usual, with a tray of tea in her hands. Tanya had argued they should get the maid to prepare it, but their work extended into the early hours of the morning and Nayoko wanted all her attendants well-rested.

"Besides," she argued back, "It's the thought that counts."

It was meant as a joke but had made Tanya blush nevertheless. The usual quiet was broken by a question that made Tanya choke on her tea.

"What do you know about me?"

It takes Tanya a second before she responds. "What do you mean?"

"I mean," Nayoko's leg bounces in anxiety, "I've been thinking. You and Lena both have a clear lineage but, who am I, really? The Archives keep all the records of noble families but I can't find my name or anything similar when looking through them." She puts a finger to her chin in thought, "I know Helena must've done something, otherwise I would've found it already. Even then I can't find anything in her chambers."

Tanya's eyes flare with irritation. "You've been snooping?"

Nayoko bites back a scoff. The familiar frustration returns but she pushes it back down. "It's my birthright to at least know who I am."

Tanya leans back in her chair, fingers pinching the bridge of her nose, "And pray tell, why do you wish to know?"

"You told me to believe in myself," Nayoko bites, "but how can I do that when I don't even know who I am? What my last name is? It's obvious my father and I are not related by blood and even more so that I'm not from the Empire. What is there to hide?"

Tanya regards her with understanding in her eyes, a sympathetic look that only makes Nayoko more agitated. "I suppose it's time."

She gets up from her chair and retrieves a crate from beneath her drawing desk. A thin layer of dust covers the top and the hinges creak when Tanya opens it to retrieve a folder bound in leather. She places it on the desk and slides it to Nayoko, whose hands shake in anticipation as she unties the knot and opens it. The piece of parchment in it is folded down the middle, which she gingerly picks up. She unfolds it and gasps.

"Your adoption papers," Tanya says, not meeting her eyes "Helena asked me to keep them."

"It's blank." The paper was devoid of anything but her condition, the day and place she was found and her presumed age. At the bottom was her father's signature Gregor, Vassal of the Empire.

"Exactly. We knew nothing about the birth and from where you came. Helena hid your true origins to secure your claim as Head Archivist." Tanya takes the paper from Nayoko's limp hands and folds it back into the folder, "The Nobles would not agree to someone with no name and family taking such a powerful position, even if you proved yourself more than worthy."

"So you don't know anymore than I do."

Tanya shakes her head, "Your father named you and gave you everything that was his. Helena ensured that no one questioned it when she named you successor by burning or hiding all traces of his tracks. When she saw you as a student in the Library she knew you were Ornia, her daughter, back from the dead. Even though she was centuries old she had not stopped believing in miracles."

Tanya returned the finder into its crate, closing it once more.

"And she gave you everything that was hers."

Nayoko's surprise turned to anger as she stared the other woman down. "There must be more. You're not telling me everything. You know who I am."

Tanya closes her eyes and winces. "I wish I could tell you more but," she shakes her head, "This is all I know."

When she opens her eyes Nayoko is stone-faced, reflecting her usual indifference. "Thank you," she says.

And there were no more questions asked.