11

Aria woke up the next morning before Newt did, quietly slipping out of the room as she wanted to have a shower before most of the other gladers would wake. She tiptoed out of Newt's room and quietly opened the door to her technical room, where Thomas slept to get some clean clothes out of her dresser. She quietly opened the door and stepped in to see Thomas's eyes dart to her like he hadn't slept.

"Jesus! You scared me!" She huffed out, not expecting him to be awake as she walked in.

"I scared you? You were the one that just burst into the room!" Thomas argued, sitting up in the bed. "Why are you awake so early?"

"I wanted to shower before the rest of the gladers woke up." She told him, going through her clothes before finally deciding on her khaki-colored shorts and a maroon tank top, already knowing today would be a hot one. She quickly grabbed her towel and a few hair ties before turning to see Thomas still sat there.

"Why before anyone wakes up?"

"Just in case. There's no lock on the door." She shrugged.

"What, do they try to do something?" Thomas asked, growing worried for his newfound friend.

"They have, yeah. Gally usually stands on guard for me, unasked, but I find it easier if I do it early in the morning."

"Well I'm not going to get any more sleep, I'll stand guard." He decided, standing up.

"You don't have to do that." She quickly tried to shake him off.

"I know. It's just in case." Thomas laughed, following her out of the homestead and towards the makeshift washroom that was built.

"I'll just sit here." Thomas said, sitting on the ground against the washroom, letting her shower at ease.

Once she was done, she brushed her hair back into a high ponytail before changing into her clothes and heading out of the hut.

"Oh good, you're done. We are both being called to talk to Alby." Thomas said, standing up before they both walked towards the map room.

"Look who decided to show up. I see you replaced me as your bodyguard." Gally teased her as the two walked in.

"You weren't even awake Gally, figured you could use your beauty sleep." Aria teased back as he rolled his eyes at her.

"What are we here for Alby?" Newt interrupted, glancing around the room at Aria as she avoided his eye.

"Theo overheard Hotch late last night, telling Danny that he wanted to be a runner, and would do whatever he had to get there." Alby told them.

"What does that mean?" Minho asked.

"I think it means our runners or future runners could be in trouble." Alby sighed before continuing on his action plan to take care of the Hotch situation without any concrete proof.

Newt noticed Aria's weird behavior as soon as she walked into the room. She wouldn't make eye contact with him, shifted around on the balls of her feet like she was nervous, and didn't come to stand beside him like she usually does.

"Alby!" Someone from outside called, interrupting their meeting.

"I got to run and deal with that, Newt, take over." Alby instructed, running out of the room.

"Alright, uh, Gally, you and the builders keep an eye on Hotch until we have some proof." Newt instructed, "Thomas, go find Chuck, Minho, you go do... something. I don't really care. Aria, outside with me, now."

Aria huffed before walking out with Newt. They stood to the side to wait for everyone to leave before he turned to her.

"What's up with you?" He asked, lightly crossing his arms.