17

Aria's mind began to wander, showing tons of different flashbacks that made her entire body shake as she laid in the bed in the medjack room, Gally and Newt standing on either side of her in worry. The two hadn't said a word since Aria had been laid down, too worried about what would happen to her. Newt, usually, would be too worried about how Thomas got stung as well but his entire focus was on Aria. Gally soon left the room, not sure what help he could do in here.

Aria tossed and turned as she began to remember her entire life before the glade.

Aria was among one of the smallest kids at the compound when they all got there, clinging onto her brother who was about a year older than her, as he tugged her closer to his own body as the group of kids walked, being led by strange people in strange lab coats but all she wanted to do was go back to their mom... she didnt understand why her mother had handed her and her brother over to a strange man but she was trying not to cry.

//

Aria remembered everything... from meeting Newt, years ago, and having a huge crush on him to the creators, wanting her and her brother to work for them as they worked on the maze trials, and when she denied, saying she couldn't support them for sending their friends up every month... Ava Paige sent her into a jail cell, where she lived for about two years. She was locked in a cellar that literally looked like she was in prison, with three meals delivered every day.

Her brother was forced to work for the creators in hopes to keep his sister alive, and every time he rebelled, they would punish her. Her brother, Thomas, cared for his sister deeply and would do whatever he could to protect her, and that meant working on the maze, going against all his morals and beliefs to protect Aria.

Once Aria was sent into the maze, Thomas had nothing to live for... nothing to protect so he didn't care when he went against WICKED, getting himself sent up into the maze with all his memories wiped. He was reunited with his sister, not that he knew who she was, only able to have a strong feeling that Aria was important to him, and vice versa.

Aria's mind swirled... she couldn't believe how WICKED treated her... or that Thomas was her brother. It explained a lot of her feelings for him, and how she felt protective over him, in a sisterly way. Every feeling she ever had about Newt, and how she felt protected when with him, and how she felt like they had a deeper connection, and now it all makes sense. Everything was beginning to make sense, why she was here, what happened, her connection with Thomas... and even Newt, and why the maze was created. And it was overwhelming.

Aria woke up in a panic with rapid breathing as she looked around the room, soon making eye contact with Newt as she began to calm down, knowing she was okay because she was with Newt. Newt quickly walked over to the side of her bed, getting close to her as she threw her arms around his neck, clinging on to him as he practically picked her up off the bed, being so relieved once he knew she was okay.

"Newt...Newt-" She huffed out, relieved to be in his arms again and breathing.

"Newt, set her down so I can check out her wound please," Jeff asked as Newt gently placed her back on the bed, Jeff softly tugging her shirt up to see the wound healing nicely.

"Is she okay?" Minho asked, walking in the room to see she was now awake, "Oh, good, you're up."

"I am." Aria nodded.

"I'll go let Gally know." Jeff quietly said, walking out of the room.

"Why would he let Gally know? What happened?" Aria asked, looking at the two boys.

"After you and Thomas got stung, we brought you here but Gally took control, locking Thomas and Teresa in the slammer. He's okay. They both are, for now." Newt told her.

"Gally did what?" Aria asked.

"He said everyone had a choice, either join him or get banished at sundown with Thomas and Teresa." Minho explained as her eyes went wide.

"He's banishing them?" Aria groaned out, going to stand up but stumbling slightly as her body was weak. Newt was quick to place his arm around her waist to steady her as Minho passed her water, which she downed.

"Everyone else agreed to that?" Aria asked as Newt shrugged, "I need to talk to Thomas."

"You will. Gally convinced everyone it was Thomas's fault." Newt explained.

"He's wrong!" Aria argued.

"I know. Thomas said it's not a prison, it's a test that started when we were kids." Minho told her as she nodded.

"I know... I remember."

"You do?" Newt asked.

"I remember a lot. They tested us all, and then people would disappear."

"To go into the maze." Newt confirmed.

"Yeah."

"Thomas worked for them." Minho told her.

"I know, Teresa did too." Aria said as Newt turned to look at her, still holding onto her side.

"Maybe that's why you didn't like her." Newt said as she stifled her laughter.

"It is. I remember. They tried to get me to join, and guys, Thomas is my brother, I'm pretty sure, he worked for them to protect me but they still sent me up when I refused to work for them. I used to live in a prison cell and they treated me like shit... they used to hurt me to get Thomas to do what they wanted... Newt, I knew you too and one day you were just gone..." Aria revealed as her breathing turned rapid again as she began to panic.

"You're okay love... you're okay. Thomas found a way out, we will be okay." Newt soothed, bringing her in for another hug.

"Come on guys, we have to go talk to Thomas and Teresa." Minho told the two as Newt pulled Aria with him out the door.

"We have a plan." Newt whispered to her.

"If he speaks to you, which he will, act innocent." Minho told her as she nodded.

"Wait... what happened to Lenny?" Aria asked.

"Love..." Newt trailed off, not sure what to say.

"Got it, please don't say it." Aria sighed out, continuing to follow the two boys out.