chapter seven. class 3-1

you walked to class 3-1, acknowledging that class was starting. you'd normally be next door, but during after school cleaning and times in which the teacher requires assistance, you'd have to be there.

nervously, you entered the classroom. you nodded at the teacher as he ushered you to the front.

"hello," you said calmly, facing the class. you despised introductions, but it had to be done. "i'm katagiri's student council vice president, (l/n) (y/n). i'll be an extra classroom assistant during my freetime for the remainder of the year. please let me know if you need any help with anything. nice to meet you all."

a certain head at the back of the class lifted, and you gave a little wave, before flushing at the thought of him being your supposed crush.

"nice to meet you," the class replied, and, with a polite bow, you took a seat at one of the extra tables. it was going to be a long day.

and you were right. the rumors had hardly silenced, and one girl even approached you, saying, "why aren't you helping out in the student council room? did you get in a fight with kakeru?"

you hated the way she giggled about it and the way his first name left her mouth. but all you did was politely deny such.

right as the class seemed to be empty, you let down your guard.

"this is getting so tiring," you grumbled, sinking in your seat. "i hate my job, what's the point anymore...? what's the point if i'm not even planning on going to uni? i'm at my limit..."

"wow."

someone commented. you shot up in your seat. who was there? who overheard you losing your composure?

miyamura-kun.

was he really that stealthy??

you puffed out your cheeks, embarrassed. "what do you mean, 'wow'? it's nothing, i'm just tired. why are you still here? don't you have anywhere to go? anything to do, anyone to see?"

"no, it's not that," he chuckled, tucking a bit of hair behind his ear. his face is kind of pretty... "now i knew what you meant earlier, when you said that there's more to people than meets the eye."

"what do you mean...?" you asked, suddenly intrigued.

"well, you're like the idol of the school," miyamura explained. you wondered how you got him to talk so much, but you listened intently. "perfect grades, high social standings, ideal personality."

"well, um, thanks, i guess?" you didn't know what to say.

"i'm saying that it's nice to see a more human side of you," he said, standing up. "you should show it more often. bottling up your stress could make things worse."

"... i can't tell people i don't handle things as well as i seem to," you smile. "for the school, all they need to know is what meets the eye. plus, i'm too deep into all this drama."

"drama?"

"can i really tell you?"

"if you're comfortable."

you exhaled. "it's obvious that remi-san likes sengoku-kun, right?"

he nodded and you were surprised he was that attentive. either that or he was a really good listener.

"well... i may or may not have convinced her that i," you paused and flushed. this wasn't confessing, so why were you just as embarrassed? "that i like you, miyamura-kun."

he froze. his eyes were widened, and that's when you realized. you might've dragged him into something he's purposefully avoided. he might've been this solitary because he didn't want to be noticed. you smiled awkwardly, and decided to break out the question.

"do you think you could... play along?"

"m-me?" he asked, dumbfounded.

"who else would i be talking to?" you shot back, trying to hide your embarrassment with confidence.

"i don't know... if that's a good idea..."

"i don't know either, but i know that i'll have to find someone, or else every single relationship i've ever had will be at stake." you placed your hands firmly on the table to get his attention. you had no idea why you were so bold about this suddenly, or how you managed to bring it up as if it were some well executed plan rather than a fun idea in the spur of the moment.

why does she make it sound so much more dramatic that it actually is...? he thought quietly. although, part of miyamura didn't care about the attention. part of him just wanted a companion. and part of you wanted that, too.

"what do you need me to do?"