chapter eight. confession

"what do you need me to do?"

oh shite. you hadn't thought that far yet. "u-uhhm, i don't know..."

miyamura deadpanned. after all that... she doesn't know?! "um... so you said i was your crush so that student council member remi wouldn't be upset about your relationship with sengoku, and this is the only way to convince her?"

"... yeah," man, he was spot-on. "i was thinking of... fake-confessing... to you..."

he opened his mouth as if to say something before looking away again. "wouldn't being rejected by me of all people ruin your status?"

you knew it would, but ruining your friendship would be much worse. "i know."

miyamura sank in his seat, his eyes showing, i didn't think she'd actually admit it...

"what if i accepted?" he asked firmly.

you were taken aback, had you heard him wrong? you cupped your hand to your left ear and leaned towards him. "h-huh?"

miyamura hesitated. he felt embarrassed, but he tried not to let that show. i just want to help. "what if we were in a fake relationship?"

you froze, then burst out laughing. "oh my god. are you suggesting the fake-dating trope??"

he flushed. "w-well, it could work..."

"why are you so desperate to help me?" you stopped laughing and smiled gratefully. the boy stayed silent. you sighed. "you're right, it could work. we could say it didn't work out after a month or so, when all the remi-sengoku drama dies down. and it'll be fine."

miyamura smiled awkwardly.

"you can back out at any time," you said slowly. a smile crept onto your face. "but i'll be the one rejecting you."

"w-what?! that's not fair-"

"nuh-uh, you're the one that didn't want to reject me because of my status..! you can't possibly say you care about being dumped," you laughed. miyamura frowned, thinking hard for a comeback. "but i'm serious. thank you."

"n-no problem," he said with a smile. it's my pleasure.

. . .

"what's going on?"

"i don't know. i just got here and everyone was already crowding..."

"a confession?"

you smiled nervously. 

you had just stopped miyamura in the hallway to 'confess', only to attract the attention of the entire school (exaggeration). the student council acknowledged it, therefore so did most of the third years.

miyamura-kun whispered to you under the clamor of gossiping teens. "are you sure you want to do this?"

you gulped, "i'm sure."

then you spoke up. you closed your eyes tightly and exhaled, before putting on your act and channeling your nervous emotion to the confession. "m-miyamura-kun,"

"y-yes!" he exclaimed. you stomped on his foot, causing him to recoil and take on a more natural tone. "i mean... yes?"

silence fell across the students. you felt a bit wobbly, your heart beating faster than it did while you had been rehearsing. this is real. this could ruin everything. this could...

every single pair of eyes on you was slowly piercing your lungs. your breaths tightened and you could feel your legs beginning to shake. what were they talking about? were they calling you a hypocritical coward? a dramatic con? a fake, two-faced attention-seeker?

and the council. were they resenting you for this commotion?

were you getting into worse than you can fix?

would this 'confession' reveal the side of you that you couldn't even face?

they'll see how weak i am.

"miyamura-kun, can i talk to you in private?" you smiled innocently. you did not wish to speak more.

"p-private?!" this wasn't part of the plan!

you grabbed his hand, trembling lightly, and walked away from the halls. you didn't turn back and nobody followed.

"(l/n)-san." he called to you once you were out of earshot of the crowd. "(l/n)-san, stop."

you paused and he slammed into your back. "ah-"

"why didn't you confess?" he asked sternly, his voice laced with concern.

your head was spinning. you were struggling to maintain your tranquility and it was beginning to show. "w-well, i hardly know you, for one, and..."

"it's not real!"

you pressed your lips together. 

"i was scared." you admitted finally, balling your hands into fists. "everyone was staring, and it seemed so unnatural, uncharacteristic..."

what if they all turned on me?

"this is what you want, though, right?" it's for remi. you thought. i shouldn't be this selfish... he sighed at your lack of response. "how about this: we go back there, holding hands, and... tell them we just confessed in private, and we both felt the same way."

you didn't know why he was trying so hard to help a stranger, but you were suddenly reassured. you smiled. i can't be selfish. "okay."

so you made your way back to the hallway between third year classes, holding the mysterious boy's hand. his hand's warm...

you quickly pulled away in response to your thoughts.

miyamura-kun hesitantly placed an arm around your back, giving a reassuring squeeze when you became anxious. you walked uncomfortably close to him as you both made your way to his classroom. 

people stared. they could infer why you were so close to him, why you were so flustered to ask to speak to him. 

"miyamura-kun from class 3-1 and vice-president (l/n) are dating."