chapter two. class 3-2

"ne, ne, (y/n)-san," a familiar voice prodded. you couldn't tell who it belonged to. all you wanted was to finish your extra classwork in peace. "is it true? have you finally decided to..."

you inquisitively (more like instinctively, you felt as if it were your obligation/forming habit to appear engaged in any conversation, no matter how disinteresting) turned your head to your classmate. you still couldn't pinpoint who she was, and you found it odd, to say the least, since you hadn't even initiated a topic. "hm?" you hummed in response, sort of as an interruption to her snarky, trailed-off comment..

"...confess to president sengoku-san?"

you jumped in your seat. you hadn't heard that before. you coughed to hide your obviously flustered form and smiled lightly. "c-confess? what do you mean?"

"well.." she continued. she almost seemed... satisfied with your reaction. "you can't be in a relationship without someone taking initiative."

you faced her again, even more confused.

"if you're not together yet, the class agreed to help!" she commented enthusiastically. you hadn't asked for that. hell, how would they know if you're even relatively interested in a relationship?

only then did you realize that a good half of the class was listening attentively to your little conversation.

"i'm sorry, i believe you've got it all wrong," you sighed, picking up your things. lashing out would be like giving them what they wanted. and what they wanted was some good gossip. "there aren't any romantic feelings between anyone in the council, and i wouldn't do anything to change that. it isn't my job to meddle in anyone's love life, nor is it any of yours. we're still too young to determine what true love really is. any relationship could fall apart at any time, and the student council is not exempt from that."

remi ayasaki stood outside the room, her eyes downcast. she placed the stack of books she had been carrying near the entrance and sought sakura. she didn't know why she was disappointed. she hadn't even fully confronted you about her crush on sengoku yet. but she couldn't help but feel more fragile than ever. were you right? was it pointless, were small feelings like love pointless? as she walked towards kouno's classroom, she heard your voice continue. faded, but distinct.

"relationships are burdens. my only goal is to graduate top of the class, and move on with my life. there's no point in putting extra effort into something you won't get anything out of."

. . .

as presumed, it didn't stop with that, no matter how clear you made it. a week had passed and class 3-2 still hadn't shut up. the worst part of it was that they labeled you as some sort of "love-denying kuudere." you shook your head at the immaturity.

thankfully, the rumors had yet to spread to other classes, leaving you at peace during times in which you were not interacting with them.

you didn't want to know how the council would react to this, so you avoided the fact that you were arguing against your own perspective.

what does pres think about young love...?