19. let her know she's not alone

"nice of you to join us," noah grinned, glancing down at the girl who now had her eyes glued to the floor.

jake looked down and clenched his jaw "what did you want?"

noah sighs "i don't think you should be like that with me, right?"

jake moved his eyes towards nini and sighed "help her up."

noah thought about it for a few seconds before nodding and grabbing her by the arm, pulling her up aggressively as she winced and forcefully looked at jake.

the boy saw her pleading gaze, yet stayed quiet. she wasn't surprised once again. he wouldn't be brave enough to help. no one would in this case. which is why she's hopeless.

"i'm going to leave you guys two minutes to talk. then you can leave." noah told the boy

nini knitted her eyebrows in confusion. she didn't understand what was happening- why would jake come to just talk to her?

jake nodded and watched as noah made his way around the corner of the alleyway, leaving nini to fall back to the floor tiredly as she coughed and jake quickly helped her to sit on a box, nini quickly pulling back away from him.

they stayed in silence for a few seconds before jake took a deep breath

"hey neens," he whispers

nini scoffed as she looked away from him "don't call me that." she said weakly "why are you here?"

jake sighed "nini, why are you letting him do this to you?"

"i could ask you the same." she whispered, looking down

jake felt his insides turn and shook his head "you know i couldn't fight him to stop-"

"you didn't even try." she said quietly "you just left."

"you didn't need-"

"i needed a friend." she tells him "and now i have no one."

jake shook his head "what about that boyfriend of yours?"

nini quickly looked at him in confusion and surprise

"social media," he answers

nini didn't do anything, looking back down at her lap as she shuddered a breath.

"he'd help you-"

"stop acting like we're friends." nini snapped as she looked at him angrily "you don't get to try and help me. you passed that chance. and ricky would only get hurt."

"but nini-"

"times up." noah's voice boomed as he walked back towards them "you're going home and remember our deal."

nini swallowed and slowly stood up, making her way out of the alleyway as she let out a small breath. she was convinced there was no way for anyone to help her. what was the point in asking for it anymore?

*

ricky walked out of the café, leaving his friends as he made his way down the sidewalk to go home.

as he took a turn, he sees a tall boy with brown hair walking down the sidewalk in the other direction, making his way towards him

the boy stopped as he looked at ricky, ricky getting a little nervous at why this boy was staring at him.

"ricky right?"

ricky opened his mouth "uh-yeah..."

"i'm jake," the boy said, putting his hand out and ricky taking it to shake

"okay...?"

"sorry," jake said with a breathy chuckle "i-uh-i was a friend of nini's-so,"

ricky clenched his jaw "okay."

"i just-i'm passing through and i just wanted to make sure you take care of her." jake said "she's been through a lot-"

"is there something i should know?" ricky questions, keeping a serious face as he folded his arms

jake didn't want to tell ricky straight away. he knew what noah was capable of just as much as nini, and he knew noah could hurt nini more than ricky in this case.

"just-let her know she's not alone." jake advised before quickly disappearing around the corner

ricky looked back and knitted his eyebrows together as he turned back, staying in the space where he stood.