Chapter 19 - Evangeline

Hey guys! I'm back! Sorry for the long wait. This is a sort of short chapter, but that's in anticipation of the next chapter. Anyways, enjoy!

"We have to end the war somehow," Maven says, pacing across the parlor.

"Capture their capital by force." I suggest. Maven rolls his eyes, and I can tell he's about to completely obliterate my idea.

"How?" He snaps, "With what elite fighting force?" I thought that Barrow was a perfectly capable assassin, and Sonya Iral wasn't bad either. But of course King Maven would never let his prized Mare go on such a dangerous mission

"Marriage." Tolly suggests to diffuse the tension, reaching for a piece of fruit from the bowl in the center of the table. Maven looks at him skeptically.

"Do you want to marry Iris Cygnet?" Maven asks.

"We could offer up Oliver Laris." I say, grabbing an apple, "That would get him off my back."

"This is serious." Maven says through gritted teeth.

"I'm being serious," I answer loftily, "Laris isn't a bad suitor..."

"He's just not a good one." Tolly finishes. Maven sighs, burying his face in his hands and plopping down on a nearby sofa.

"Would you rather marry her? Because you're the other option." I drawled. 

"Why me?" Maven huffs, annoyed, "What about Ptolemus?" 

"He's taken."

"But Oliver Laris? Isn't he the leader of the rebellion? And why do you hate him so much?" Maven asked. I shudder. Oliver Laris was horrible. Absolutely horrible. 

He took marrying for status to a whole new level. I vividly remember all the times he tried to woo me, each more embarrasing then the last. Like the time he made a gust of air feed me in the middle of dinner with the royal family. And that time he sent hundreds of scraps of paper blowing around the palace with the words "Oliver  Evangeline"  written on them. She had been teased about that for months after, and even now if someone mentioned it, the whole room would burst out laughing. I pushed the memories away, and formulated a response.

"He isn't the leader, per se, just second-in-command. And if you chose him to marry Cygnet, it would create division within the rebels, since half of them follow him." Maven raised an eyebrow at my lack of response to his third question, but let it go. Maven thought about it for a minute, then sighed.

"I despise it when you're right," he mutters as he stands up and walks out of the room, probably to arrange the marriage. Tolly raises an eyebrow, smirking.

"Those notes really made their mark," He comments serenly.

"Shut up."