Chapter 23 - Maven

Hey guys. So this takes a lot, I mean a lot, of inspiration from Martin Luther King Jr.'s I have a dream speech, as well as one incredibly subtle Hamilton reference... Hope you enjoy!

I stepped onto the podium, eerily calm. Tonight would be marked down as one of the greatest demonstrations of freedom in history. Everything had been done; the war ended, the peace made. Now, I had to convince the Silver Court.

"Citizens of Norta," I begin, addressing everyone in the room as well as the people watching from their homes. "We have just ended a war, and more change is to come. This world is wrong. I believe in a better Norta, where everyone, regardless of blood, can live in peace.

Look around, Silvers. Who surrounds you? Those of your kind—friends, even. What friends are they, if the bridges between you are built on lies.

Look around, Reds. What surrounds you? You stand on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. You have been crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. Is it fair?" I look at the Silvers, and the cameras follow my gaze. They nod. "That is why, we've come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.
Silvers, you may say it is impossible. Throw around excuses like 'If we freed the Reds, we would be vulnerable from attack from other nations". But I refuse to believe that. We refuse to believe that.

It would be fatal for our nation to overlook the urgency of this moment. Three hundred twenty-one isn't just the end of a war, it's the beginning of a new era. Look around at the protests of the suppressed. There will be neither peace nor rest for anyone until our Red brethren are granted the same rights as you and I." The Silvers, who before were slightly uneasy, were now positively alarmed. But they didn't dare do anything while cameras were trained on them. I was suddenly glad that I had the foresight to promise the Magnetrons manning the cameras a hefty sum to keep the cameras on for the duration of my speech.
"Reds, do not wallow in the valley of despair. For even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still believe.
I believe that one day Reds, Silvers, Newbloods, and any other human beings can live in peace.

I believe that one day in Piedmont, a silver-blooded princess will be able to marry a Red riverboat captain who dealt in smuggling.

I believe that one day, Reds will be able to teach and share their religions with Silvers in the Lakelands.

And I believe that, in Norta, Silvers and Reds alike will be able to marry out of love, regardless of blood, status, or sex." I glanced at Elane and Evangeline.

"Now, I will pledge to all of you." I took a deep breath, calming any stray nerves. "I swear on my colors—" and there was a chorus of gasps from the Silver Court,"—that I will resign from my post in three years' time, and I will only rule again if I am fairly elected.

After three years, there will be three people ruling, consuls, if you will, one from each blood type. They will rule fairly for four years, or one term. Each person can only serve two terms. The Court will be made up of Reds, Silvers, and Newbloods who will serve for up to two terms. Elections for both of these positions will be held every four years, with the Court elections being held two years before Consul elections.

For those of you who are counting, that means, the Court elections will happen in one year. I have listed all of this and more in a draft of a new Constitution, which I will read aloud tomorrow evening. Thank you, citizens." The second the cameras stopped rolling, all hell broke loose.

***

"We did it!" Mare whooped, a few hours later. We were slipping through a tunnel within the walls of the palace to get to my room, so I could avoid any more angry scoldings from Silvers or happy chatter from Reds. I smiled wearily.

"I have a feeling tomorrow will be a huge headache," I sigh.

"Yeah, it will." Mare said, not bothering to sugarcoat it. "I'm going to bed."

"Mare, wait," I say, grasping her wrist. I'm not really sure what I'm doing at this point. "I—" Mare seems to get what I'm saying.

"We need time, Maven," She pierces me with her gaze, before turning and walking away. I let her go this time. She was right, in some sense, but that didn't make it any easier.