Chapter 19 - Skating on Thin Ice

Chapter 19: Skating on Thin Ice:

   "We're almost home, Sam," someone said softly, barely a whisper in my ear. I moaned and nuzzled further into the warm solid surface I was resting against. 

  I heard Rayne chuckle his voice muted my the fabric my face was resting on, "I don't think she is going to wake up by just that Tristan,"

  Tristan's chest rumbled as he chuckled, "No, I don't think so either. What was the call about?"

  Silence filled the cab as Rayne stalled from speaking; I swear I could feel his eyes on me, probably wondering if I was awake. I don't think I could go back to sleep knowing I was up against Tristan's chest, his arm around me; his presence was enough to want to leap away. But the combination of knowing that Rayne might say something important that they otherwise wouldn't tell me and the fact that this was actually a comfortable position, kept me still, breathing deeply as if asleep.

  "It was him." Rayne said simply, the radio silent as if it had been turned off, a different atmosphere than when I had fallen asleep.

  "Him? You mean...they finally contacted you?" Tristan spoke sharp edged, his voice harsh. This person wasn't on good terms with both him and Rayne, I could tell it.

  "Yeah, things have not been going to well with the treaty and he his backing out of it because of some slip ups on our part...like...never mind,"

  "Like what?"

  "I don't want you to get upset right now, it's not the time or the place,"

  "What?" Tristan asked this so coldly and demanding that I almost shivered as if his body temperature had frozen.

  "Her."

  "S...Sam?"

  "Yeah."

  Silence, complete and utter silence. I couldn't even hear the sound of the wheels rolling on the pavement, we must have been parked. Who had a problem with me? What happened? My mind was moving a mile a minute, and questions burned on my lips, questions that I couldn't speak aloud; instead yelling them in my mind. Tristan's arm tightened around me and I could feel his fingers digging in slightly to my back.

  "We need to get her inside," Tristan muttered, and his hold didn't relax as I started hearing doors open. This was probably the time to 'wake up' if any, and I shifted, trying to relay what it felt like to wake up in my mind.

  "What time is it?" I asked sleepily, yawning, and trying to sit up; which Tristan reluctantly let me, but I could tell he tried to hide the fact.

  "Only about 10:30 at night," he said quietly.

  "Ugh, where are we?" that I didn't know, my eyes had been closed throughout the whole discussion and now I was blinking away black spots in my vision. All I knew is that it was dark out, which was pretty much a given that even an idiot could pick up.

  "Our house, you slept throughout the whole trip home, Rayne figured it wouldn't be all that smart just to leave you home alone,"

  "I can go home... I've slept at my house plenty of times, and that place is absent of even lingering spirits. I'll be find," I protested, already missing Tristan's arm around me. Maybe I should have let him carry me into the house.

  "Nonsense, we already drove all the way over here, you're spending the night." He said, opening the door, I realized Rayne had already left before I had 'woken up'. Cold air blew into the cab, making me anxious to be inside the warm house now. Surprisingly Tristan helped me out of the cab, my step was a tad off from disorientation of sleep, and he kept me steady as I climbed down.